My Shrimp Are Nuts

C

csmith

So, I just so happened to be fiddling around under my tank when I came across a dried out cherry shrimp body. This isn't the first time this has happened. A while back I glanced at my tank and saw something on top. I go over, and there is a shrimp walking on top of the glass cover. To do that it would have had to climb up the heater cord and then make it's way onto the cover, which seems like a pretty thought out plan considering it's an animal that really needs to be on the opposite side of the glass to live.
Did my shrimp just ride the short bus to school (haha, it's a pun :rolleyes:), or would something be causing this behavior? All I have are two ADFs and four sparkling gouramis, and they wouldn't be close to having the ability to eat the full grown shrimp. I'm down to one RCS.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Whats Glass?

Hi,

The desire to explore, it is what makes people think insects are intelligent they try everything. :)

Shrimp are escape artists and since they do not think, they do not know what side of the glass is in their best interest. :cool:

Biollante

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
Shrimp are food and they know it. Anything maybe taking a nibble here and there? Just because they can't eat a full grown shrimp doesn't mean they won't "sample" said beastie.

I recently had a bamboo shrimp that utterly freaked after a water change and hid in the overflow for three days before climbing back out into the main tank. Any recent WCs that might have thrown off the water chemistry somehow?

RCS are also pretty inbred at this point. You might just have a few from the really shallow end of the gene pool that are a few sandwiches short of a picnic. Or, in Darwinian terms, a self correcting problem. Not that this helps you if that's the case...

-
S

C

csmith

Biollante;49410 said:
Shrimp are escape artists and since they do not think, they do not know what side of the glass is in their best interest. :cool:
It's weird to think they know to run from fish, but can't grasp they should stay in the wet part of the world.

shoggoth43;49423 said:
Shrimp are food and they know it. Anything maybe taking a nibble here and there? Just because they can't eat a full grown shrimp doesn't mean they won't "sample" said beastie.

I recently had a bamboo shrimp that utterly freaked after a water change and hid in the overflow for three days before climbing back out into the main tank. Any recent WCs that might have thrown off the water chemistry somehow?

RCS are also pretty inbred at this point. You might just have a few from the really shallow end of the gene pool that are a few sandwiches short of a picnic. Or, in Darwinian terms, a self correcting problem. Not that this helps you if that's the case...

-
S
As far as anything nipping at them, it's definately not the dwarf frogs. The frogs remind me of the big guy in The Green Mile. They're huge, but don't really know it. It would have to be the gouramis.
This past weekend I did a complete rebuild of the tank. All water out, pulled out all of the chain swords (got way to big for my tank) and moved a bunch of stuff around. I did pull out almost all of the shrimp cover now that I think about it, but the crazy shrimp stuff happened prior to this. Now I've just got the runner. When the lights go off he swims around the perimeter of the tank, about halfway up, for an hour or two. Just keeps going in circles. It's hilarious, but I think he was the most "special" of the bunch.

I'll blindly blame the gouramis and call it good.

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
When stressed, shrimps can make high enough jumps to avoid danger that will lead them to the dry deadly side. Without stress, no jumps in my expierience. To remain with invertebrae, pond snails, if water level is too high, can loose their way on the dry side and fall on floor when they come above surface to have a deep breath. Lowering water level by few millimeters solves the issue (I love my cleaning machine pond/ramshorn snails and save every last baby when removing a plant or fresh food residue)