My Setup with a few questions

gparr

Subscriber
Oct 31, 2013
Hello All!

I have lurked here for quite awhile prior to joining up and subscribing. I have kept aquariums since 1987 and once had a fish room with 30 tanks...but that was then and it is now!

I currently am running a low tech planted tank (mostly swords) of which I have had good luck with...and now I am wanting to try something a little more rewarding and challenging.

Here is equipment I have to get started:
120 gallon tank. 4x2x2
2 Rena Filstar XP3
Pressurized CO2 - thanks Tom!
CO2 Reactor - will be built soon
Substrate - Turface

Questions...

1. Should I ditch the Turface for something else? Is has worked just fine in the low tech world by using fert tabs in it.

2. Will the Filstars be OK for filtering?

3. I have read many articles here and would like to use the DSM - dry start method to getting some sort of carpet plants started. Is this still the method of choice?

I'm sure I will have many more questions as I continue this new area of knowledge and I appreciate your patience and knowledge to help a noob!

fplata

Jul 7, 2012
Yes to all. For the substrate I find that ADA Amazonia and true aqua work extremely well

gparr

Subscriber
Oct 31, 2013
I did forget to list my lighting.

I currently have the Marineland 48" LED system

I will be adding a buildmyled 10000k 48" 90* LED system as well.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I'd ditch the turface, the reason being it's so light weight, hard to keep the plants rooted in it.
ADA aqua soil is similar in weight, but stickier and the plants grow better in it.
Cost difference is large compared to turface. Plain old 2-4 mm sand works well also if you want to stick with the older methods and cheaper.
Flourite Black sand is a good option. I really like this the best of all the inert sediments.
ADA and the newer Seven Seas Aqua plant soil(not really avail just yet, but will be) are what I use.

Rena's are fine.
Most folks like surface skimming, keeps the surface clean.
An option there is the Ehiem 350 skimmer, or use a surface sludge extractor from Ehiem.
I'd do one or both of those.

DSM works well for folks with a limited amount of plants available to them.
Just do not seal the tank up to keep the moisture in.
Allow some breathing/air exchange.

Gloss will work well and is easy to trim. Trimming in ADA aqua soil is easier than sand generally due to not dulling the scissors.
But scissors are relatively cheap and will last a few months at least.

Make your water changes as easy as possible.
Plants love them.

CO2 is 90% of the hobby, then trimming and basic common sense aquarium keeping, you had 30 tanks, so that part is down.

Glossostigma is a weedy foreground plant so it should do well if you do not mind the trimming and a low carpet.
Starougyne repens works well if you do not mind a larger leaf and is a bit like a Crypt, very rooty and can handle lower light as well as aggressive mowing and trimming.
Then chose you driftwood/rock or just all plants etc for the mid and back grounds.

Or make a background etc.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I'd ditch the turface, the reason being it's so light weight, hard to keep the plants rooted in it.
ADA aqua soil is similar in weight, but stickier and the plants grow better in it.
Cost difference is large compared to turface. Plain old 2-4 mm sand works well also if you want to stick with the older methods and cheaper.
Flourite Black sand is a good option. I really like this the best of all the inert sediments.
ADA and the newer Seven Seas Aqua plant soil(not really avail just yet, but will be) are what I use.

Rena's are fine.
Most folks like surface skimming, keeps the surface clean.
An option there is the Ehiem 350 skimmer, or use a surface sludge extractor from Ehiem.
I'd do one or both of those.

DSM works well for folks with a limited amount of plants available to them.
Just do not seal the tank up to keep the moisture in.
Allow some breathing/air exchange.

Gloss will work well and is easy to trim. Trimming in ADA aqua soil is easier than sand generally due to not dulling the scissors.
But scissors are relatively cheap and will last a few months at least.

Make your water changes as easy as possible.
Plants love them.

CO2 is 90% of the hobby, then trimming and basic common sense aquarium keeping, you had 30 tanks, so that part is down.

Glossostigma is a weedy foreground plant so it should do well if you do not mind the trimming and a low carpet.
Starougyne repens works well if you do not mind a larger leaf and is a bit like a Crypt, very rooty and can handle lower light as well as aggressive mowing and trimming.
Then chose you driftwood/rock or just all plants etc for the mid and back grounds.

Or make a background etc.

gparr

Subscriber
Oct 31, 2013
If I go with Starougyne repens does this require DSM to get a good start? Have read where it could possibly melt going from emerged to submerged.

Any idea when Seven Seas Soil will come available and what the price might be? I am looking at 3456 cubic inches...or about 10 bags for the Flourite Black Sand.

I like your suggestion on the surface skimmer...thanks!

fplata

Jul 7, 2012
It will work either way, it will most likely melt even if going from submerged to submerged depending on the igniting difference from tank to tank, but it will come back strong and beautiful. I have only grown it submerged. It's my foreground plant on the picture below

View attachment 4849

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384867384.040223.jpg