This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

My routine... Sound reasonable?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by PhillyB, Jan 29, 2008.

1. PhillyB

PhillyB Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    5:16 PM
    All,

Wanted to run my fert. routine for 2 excel tanks, and see if anyone saw any reason to adjust. I have been experiencing decent growth with some green spot algae. The algae is a minimal problem as it usually only shows up on the glass.

10 gallon tank
    -------------------
    28 watts of Power Compact lighting on for 8 hours per day.
    Fluorite substrate.
    Tetra Whisper HOB filter rated for 40 gallons. This seems like a lot, so I turn down the output a little bit. I have a rio 180 in there as well that the fish like to swim against.
    I change the water 70% once per week and add the following to the tank after the water change:
    - 5ml of Seachem Excel
    - 2.5 ml of TMG trace elements
    - 1/4 tsp of Calcium Sulfate
    - 1/8 tsp of Magnesium Sulfate
    - 1/8 tsp of Potassium Nitrate
    - 1/32 tsp of Mono Potassium Phosphate
    - 1/16 tsp of Potassium Sulfate
    I only do all of that once per week. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I typically add about 2.5 ml of Seachem Excel. The lowest measurement on my cup is 2.5 ml so I try to add less than that with a target of about 1 ml.

20 gallon high
    -------------------
    36 watts of Power Compact lighting on for 10 hours per day.
    Inert gravel substrate.
    Tetra Whisper HOB filter rated for 40 gallons. I have a rio 180 in there as well to keep the water flowing!
    I change the water 70% once per week and add the following to the tank after the water change:
    - 10ml of Seachem Excel
    - 5 ml of TMG trace elements
    - 1/2 tsp of Calcium Sulfate
    - 1/4 tsp of Magnesium Sulfate
    - 1/4 tsp of Potassium Nitrate
    - 1/16 tsp of Mono Potassium Phosphate
    - 1/8 tsp of Potassium Sulfate
    I only do all of that once per week. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I typically add about 2.5 ml of Seachem Excel.

I do the fert additions only once per week as that makes things much easier for me. I came to these approximations because the excel growth should be about 1/3 of CO2 growth, correct?

Does the trace element addition seem pretty reasonable?

Despite the inert gravel I have not been having any problems with the plants in this setup. They are easier plants... Eleocharis acicularis, Bacopa Caroliana, Cardinal Lobelia, Rotala Indica, Ludwigia, and Hygrophilia Difformis.

Thanks,
    John