My routine... Sound reasonable?

PhillyB

Prolific Poster
Dec 27, 2006
All,

Wanted to run my fert. routine for 2 excel tanks, and see if anyone saw any reason to adjust. I have been experiencing decent growth with some green spot algae. The algae is a minimal problem as it usually only shows up on the glass.

10 gallon tank
-------------------
28 watts of Power Compact lighting on for 8 hours per day.
Fluorite substrate.
Tetra Whisper HOB filter rated for 40 gallons. This seems like a lot, so I turn down the output a little bit. I have a rio 180 in there as well that the fish like to swim against.
I change the water 70% once per week and add the following to the tank after the water change:
- 5ml of Seachem Excel
- 2.5 ml of TMG trace elements
- 1/4 tsp of Calcium Sulfate
- 1/8 tsp of Magnesium Sulfate
- 1/8 tsp of Potassium Nitrate
- 1/32 tsp of Mono Potassium Phosphate
- 1/16 tsp of Potassium Sulfate
I only do all of that once per week. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I typically add about 2.5 ml of Seachem Excel. The lowest measurement on my cup is 2.5 ml so I try to add less than that with a target of about 1 ml.

20 gallon high
-------------------
36 watts of Power Compact lighting on for 10 hours per day.
Inert gravel substrate.
Tetra Whisper HOB filter rated for 40 gallons. I have a rio 180 in there as well to keep the water flowing!
I change the water 70% once per week and add the following to the tank after the water change:
- 10ml of Seachem Excel
- 5 ml of TMG trace elements
- 1/2 tsp of Calcium Sulfate
- 1/4 tsp of Magnesium Sulfate
- 1/4 tsp of Potassium Nitrate
- 1/16 tsp of Mono Potassium Phosphate
- 1/8 tsp of Potassium Sulfate
I only do all of that once per week. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I typically add about 2.5 ml of Seachem Excel.

I do the fert additions only once per week as that makes things much easier for me. I came to these approximations because the excel growth should be about 1/3 of CO2 growth, correct?

Does the trace element addition seem pretty reasonable?

Despite the inert gravel I have not been having any problems with the plants in this setup. They are easier plants... Eleocharis acicularis, Bacopa Caroliana, Cardinal Lobelia, Rotala Indica, Ludwigia, and Hygrophilia Difformis.

Thanks,
John