my rotala's look so ugly

timuraydin

Junior Poster
Jun 27, 2007
Turkey
Hello,

Does anybody know what the problem might be with my rotala rotundifolia plants? The leaves that are closer to the gravel seem to be rotting.

Some info about the tank:

35 gal, 4x18 T8, 11 hours a day with a 1 hour siesta in the afternoon.
pH = 7, GH = 8, kH = 6
NO3 = 10 ppm
PO4 = 0.5 ppm
Fe = 0.25 ppm
K = (can't measure, but I regularly dose K2SO4)
Traces = Seachem trace 3ml every other day
The gravel is aquaclay. No ferts go into the gravel

img_1132s.jpg

img_1135s.jpg

img_1136s.jpg

img_1137s.jpg

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Given the assumption that the nutroents are stable and they are actually those tested ranges, even somewhat close is fine here, this pretty much leaves one issue left............CO2 and water flow.

I'm starting to suggest water+CO2 these days.
Good flow = good gas exchange, CO2 mist helps to this extent as well.

Rot at the base is common for some species suffering from CO2 issues or sometimes due to low O2/flow.

Regards,
Tom Barr

timuraydin

Junior Poster
Jun 27, 2007
Turkey
Thanks for the reply Tom,

I have increased the CO2 flow right now.

When you said water flow, this immediately made me think about the surface extractor that I had installed about 4 months ago. I was always feeling that this has reduced the filter throughput. After all, the working principle of that device is to cause suction at the surface by reducing the opening at the bottom.

I also have a feeling that the eheim 2213 is not sufficient for this tank. Any comments?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I'd use 2 filters that size at least, a 2215 would be, even a 2217 would be okay, I use 300GPH for every 30-40Gal on tank, and I see some thicker plant layouts that could use more even.

Old school mentality was that higher flows drove off CO2.
Blah........

I think many of the CO2 issues can be resolved via changes and tweaking the flow pattern and the rate.

Regards,
Tom Barr