This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

My RO water still has 10ppm TDS - What is it?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Tom Wood, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Tom Wood

Tom Wood Guru Class Expert

I'm still not getting a good response from the plants, even after going to 100% RO water.

My water starts as 510ppm, 24Gh, 16KH, that also goes through a whole-house salt-based water softener before being processed by the RO unit. The end result is 10ppm TDS. But I read here:

"Purity is determined by two things, first the "reject ratio of the membrane (92-99.5%) and secondly, the type of salts in solution. Membranes are very good at rejection high molecular weight compounds and multivalent ions. Monovalent ions such as Na+ and Cl- (Sodium and Chloride) are not rejected as well and are the leakage ions."

http://www.remco.com/ro_quest.htm

So, if that 10ppm remaining in the RO water is all sodium and chloride, is that too high a level? I can add a DI unit if needed, but if this level is not likely a problem, I won't bother.

TW

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Re: My RO water still has 10ppm TDS - What is it?

10ppm is not much and given the starting water also.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. Simpte

Simpte Prolific Poster

Temperature also plays a part in the units effectiveness. I believe R.O. units work best when the water temp is 78 degrees. Any hotter or colder and they don't run as efficient. Not the a degree or 2 will have any noticeable effect but you get the idea.

4. trcpdx

trcpdx Junior Poster

Tom - how are you measuring? Just read something about the accuracy of TDS meters. Seems a meter with a range of 0-999ppm and a rated accuracy of +/-2%, might have an error range of +/- 20ppm. That 2% could be 2% of the full scale!

5. Tom Wood

Tom Wood Guru Class Expert

Yeah, it's a cheapo TDS meter that I bought with the RO system, but it's the best I can do. I was really more interested in an order of magnitude feel for the end result anyway, rather than an absolute value.

TW

6. trcpdx

trcpdx Junior Poster

So maybe your TDS is really zero! :)

7. in10ceguy

in10ceguy Junior Poster

2 % error is always calculated from full scale. Im happy with mine ,very accurate and stable
    TDS METER