This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

My problem with estimative index

Discussion in 'Estimative Index' started by Rhapsody, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Rhapsody

Rhapsody Junior Poster

Local Time:
    12:19 PM
    Hello, I have a nano aquarium and it looks beautiful. Nonetheless, there is a secret that normal people doesnt know: it has algae!! (green hair)

https://s11.postimg.org/50lce2w77/111nano.png[/image]

Well, I have never added nutrients, only Co2 and what the fish produces. This was because every time I did, algae trend to appear, so I have been controlling it with water changes. Nonetheless, I read about EI, and it looks promising. So I reduced the amount of light (I have a chihiros A series 20 cm for my 19 liters). First problem: the plants started to change their leaves, to be pointing up to the light. Looks like I reduced it too much as other plants like the red ones started to be affected, and the montecarlo stopped its growth rate.

I then added more light, increased the light. Not at the top (chihiros has 7 levels, first i was at the maximum level (wrong choise), then at level 4, now level 5 and it doesnt seem to improve for the algaes. I even feel that there are more the more I add nutrients.

So my doubt is: for a normal guy without any test kits and without deep knowledge in lighting, how can we know what is the correct light to add?. For example the chihiros states the amount of lumens they have (it is a bit tricky as I have been reading), but in any case it doesnt say how many lumen it has per level. So here I am not sure how to calculate the correct level: having enough light for my red and small plants as Montecarlo, and at the same time low enough for the algae. I am doing water changes twice a week right now. Too low light may affect plants, too many may make algae to appear. Is there a technique to know when I am doing it correctly?. Of course, you can imagine that I want to avoid testing with my aquarium, as if my plants die I would say "ok, that level is incorrect" or if algae appear I would say "ok that was too much light", but both tests mean the mess in my aquarium LOL.

Also, other doubt: the nitrogen affect to animals as far I know, so, do you consider this before adding excess of nitrogen?, as too many available may mean the death of some animals. As there is no test for this, how you calculate?

Thanks

Ps: BTW, did you like the mangrove? :) 2.5 years with me now.

#1 Rhapsody, Nov 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2016
  2. Rhapsody

Rhapsody Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Last doubt: when Green hair algae appears, this doesnt help anymore, you have to kill it first, correct?. Or it should trend to dissapear?. I ask because an algae cell located in a very good place with good light, lets say near to the light source, then it could grow up without issues I imagine. Am I correct?

3. Rhapsody

Rhapsody Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Sorry, I just found new info. One of my posible issues may be CO2. I will try to check this first. Probably it is in not an adequate concentration.

4. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    If you were happy with your original technique before EI, then there is no need to move to EI. May be you could add small amounts of K and Fe to whatever the fish waste is providing.

EI by itself does not cause algae. However, if there is an imbalance of some sort with CO2 and light, then EI provides plenty of nutrients to feed the algae. But the algae is not caused by EI.