This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

My new scape.

Discussion in 'Aquascaping' started by Aquadream, Sep 18, 2011.

1. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    3:30 AM
    gorgeous! the pelia on the branches has filled out to look amazing. I bet it is neat to see the school of fish swimming between the pelia branches.

I think the classic combination of cardinal tetras and rasboras works well.

2. Aquadream

Aquadream Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Thank you ShadowMac.
    The fishes are swimming between the branches really nice. I'll try to make some video.
    There are some pics of the plants after the bulldozing about two months ago.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pogostemon Helferi.jpg

3. Aquadream

Local Time:
    154 days after start and my second movie attampt after the Picnic spot movie. For better quality choose 720p HD.
    [video=youtube;r7jNE9gUQKc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7jNE9gUQKc&feature=youtu.be[/video]

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    If you have a little patience, then those harsher hack/trims really do well with those plants. And you can sell/trade, donate the excess plants.

5. Aquadream

Local Time:
    Well the set up was started with all ADA ferts. Just around the trimming time the ADA ferts finished and I had to continue with Easy Life. To tell you the truth not one of the plants have grown back to the former glory when they were fed ADA ferts. It would appear the plant hormones or what other gimmickry ADA uses is working better than anything else, but is also too expensive.

6. Gilles

Gilles Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Where are you from? You might want to try KamerDrak (www.drak.de) i heard people having good results with that too.

7. Aquadream

Local Time:
    I am from Bulgaria.
    It is not a problem to aquire anything over the internet. It is only a matter of price and ADA prices are too high for long term maintenance.

8. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    Be careful, this is an assumption, what is different between now and then other.........than the ferts? One is VERY obvious.

Actually a couple: plant biomass increased dramatically, Sediment NH4 declined a great deal.

You can add the ADA ferts and see for yourself.
    I hack back lots of Starougyne, Downoi, for the last 3 years in ADA AS that's now over 5-6 years old.
    New soil behaves very differently if you dose the water column lean. Later, this changes. More with Nitrogen than any other.

9. Aquadream

Local Time:
    Let me see now.
    Light is the same. I only added a reflector yesterday, because the Pellia woods are shading the tank a bit.
    The Micros are about 2 - 2.5 the recommended dose.
    For K+ I use either K2CO3 or K2SO4, by just switching between them to prevent changes in the KH that may come from the K2CO3. I dose approx. 4ppm of K+ per day.
    For NO3 I use mostly the Special N (Tobias) recipe. Occasionally I use Green Brighty Special Lights (my ADA equivalent) that contains NH4.
    The tank for the past month is literally overloaded with fish. There was no fish in the first months.
    I also run the CO2 with external reactor that gives me very smooth and constant supply . From the beginning I used glass pollen diffusers.

Having said all that there is one , just one thing that is gone at the most part and I would not know if it is possible to replenish or how to do so. I am talking about the organic acids (humic acids). From the beginning AS will blast huge amounts of those in the water, but later that is obviously not the case. Then ADA ferts do contain some of those humic acids plus plant hormone.
    Any thoughts on that?

10. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    It is not the plant growth regulators, this much I can assure folks about. Allocation is a key aspect of this that I am interested in professionally for some rather obvious reasons and pgr's are one of the main components.

Humics really only have influence on plants from the KH aspect near as anyone can tell, that might influence some parts of growth related to CO2.
    Plant biomass has increased a lot and does as roots continue to grow, that is roughly 10-35% of the plant biomass we normally never see or often think about.
    Humics can be added as a way tyo lower the pH to reduce Fe preciptation in the bottle, but are way too dilute in the aquarium, same for the pgr's.

Super thrive and a dozen other pgr's have been used without anyone seeing any differences for well, at least 20 years on aquatic plants..........and nurseries do not use them except for tissue culture reasons/dips etc. Dr Kane at UF is about the best person for pgr's influence on aquatic plants in culture. He has not found much regarding support for the ADA claim, nor have I.

Now adding more Fe or N etc..........sure. Repotting plants after say 6-12 months or once every 1-2 years etc, yes..........

The initial concentration of NH4 is much higher than the water column, as are the humics and lowering of the KH.
    So that + biomass differences can be a huge factor, CO2 always is a factor. I rule out the other first, then go after CO2.
    That's fairly easy, CO2 not so much.

If growth stalls or slows down, or something just does not look as it should, I attack CO2.
    If you are sure you have non limiting ferts.........., doing the same water changes etc........light.......etc.........cleaning the filter routinely, etc...........then there's not much left to go after.

As tanks fill in, the CO2 demand goes up, current goes down etc............
    Algae blooms also reduce as plants fill in and grow, but if the CO2 stress is strong enough.........then the algae might come in, but if the water changes are done often, then maybe not.

Still, you will see a decline in the plant recovery/rates of growth BEFORE you ever see algae.

CO2 is always a suspect.

I think I came up with about 0.8-1.0 ppm per day for NH4 dosing for a non limiting ppm.
    ADA As leaches this also and perhaps more the first 2 weeks.

Also, ADA typically used activated carbon, which removes humics and organic acids..........so while this declines after the 1st 1-2 months, unless you add more fresh AC back...........you have wood and plants, which both add these as well.

You can buy Super Thrive anywhere on line as well as peat for humic additions.
    Much cheaper than ADA.....then test it and see.

11. DukeNJ

DukeNJ Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Really nice. Different. Love it. Can't imagine trimming it. :)

12. Aquadream

Local Time:
    Chears mate. Trimming is hell here. Could be easier to chop my grandpa's fileds by hand instead.;)

13. Aquadream

Local Time:
    Day 157 from start. The picture is taken 1 day before water change.
    [​IMG]

14. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    Looks nice, the Pellia is a PITA to trima nd keep out of other plants, not as bad Riccia........or some types of moss.........

Do you think the Starougyne would look nice if you replaced the Bylxa on the other side? Or Downoi?

15. NewFishTank

NewFishTank Guest

Local Time:
    9:30 PM
    Nice scape. My eyes are drawn straight into the bunch of blyxas, which shouldnt be the focal point. Agreed with Tom, perhaps Stauro Tropica or even pogo downoi?

16. Aquadream

Local Time:
    Those are too bright for that spot. The Blyxa looks big now, because I have left it to go out of the substrate. Just gonna poke it back into the substrate and it will look more in place.
    I chose the Blyxa for that side to create somewhat darker area than the back central part of the tank. It is a way of adding to the perspective not by objects, but by colour.

Some time ago I was tempted to do just that. It did't work.
    The fact that the Blyxa draws your attention does not make it a focal point.

17. detlef

detlef Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

I concur with others that have said it before you're doing a fantastic job, particularly in growing plants to their full glory. As for TH you stated you're at 45ppm. I don't see any cloudiness nor do the plants seem to lack colour.

Did you come to a different opinion regarding low TH? And, do you still keep KH at 1-2d? Still no extra KH added to RO?

Yes, I have managed to read your thread from late last year on "Total hardness in ADA aquariums" once again, puh!

Best regards, Detlef

#77 detlef, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2012
  18. Htomassini

Htomassini Guest

Local Time:
    9:30 PM
    You have a beautiful tank. Could you list what your dosing regime looks like? Thanks

19. Gilles

Gilles Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    This is an interesting quote, as my blyxa has also 'left' the substrate to go flying through my tank...
    Although i am planning on fixing my CO2 setup to rule that out of the possible causes, is Blyxa known for 'launching' out of the substrate ?

p.s. do you apply EI for this tank?

20. Aquadream

Local Time:
    I dose every morning Easy Life - Profito, Easy Carbo, K2CO3 or K2SO4, KH2PO4, NO3 trough various compounds. CO2 is around 30-45ppm.

I have noticed that Blyxa does take off to drift around the tank, but only if light is not enough. I had Blyxa in smaller tank with probably 70-90 PAR and when I wanted to remove the Blyxa from there I found it very well rooted.