This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

My new scape.

Discussion in 'Aquascaping' started by Aquadream, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Aquadream

Aquadream Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    6:55 AM
    Hello everyone.
    Two weeks ago I started new aquascape, just for fun.
    There it is.
    [​IMG]
    Tank parameters.
    Size 120 cm long, 60 cm wide, 50 cm deep.
    Lights - 3 x T5 6500Kelvins 10 hours per day.
    Fertilizers - Potassium Chloride, Easy life Profito.
    Weekly water change 50%.
    Water parameters - TH 45 mg/L
    Substrate - Amazonia Aquasoil + additives
    CO2 - 3-4 bubbles per second with the lights.
    Plants - Hemianthus Cuba, Pogostemon Helferi, Staurogine sp., Blyxa Japonica, Lileaopsis Brasilensis.
    Decorative materials - rocks from the river near by :)

Any critics and comments are welcome.

#1 Aquadream, Sep 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2012
  2. tjbuege

tjbuege Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I like the looks of that. It'll be interesting to see it when it grows in some more.

3. ubr0ke

ubr0ke Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    my only critique is the rock on the back right..I would prefer if it was layed down flat...other then that beautiful tank.

4. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    +1 on that.

5. Aquadream

Local Time:
    Thank you guys. That rock does look a bit like poop. I will try some other position or may be another rock and see what happens then.
    For now i have fingers crossed for the HC to jump over the dark hole. HC is always pain in the neck for me in a new set up.

6. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Keep trying to move rock until you are 100% happy.

If you do water changes a lot and dose well, add lots of CO2, then the HC will regrow very fast.

7. Aquadream

Local Time:
    It is difficult for me to get happy with the rocks. Too limited choice. No one imports “cheap” ADA rocks here and it took me weeks to find just these. But I am sure some turning around will help to reduce the poop outlook.
    HC, damn it. The easiest plant for me to grow immersed and very difficult to get submersed. This time I am determined. And not to forget, I have you Tom for some anti disaster advice.

8. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    It's really easy. Like Tom says, lots of CO2.

9. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    Yes, there's also no fish in the aquarium, so you add a lot, I think many aquascapers do this, that's why we see so few fish in the ADA contest tanks............

Then they claim and justify that if you add too many, it distracts from the scape. I think that's a croc of manure reason. It's an aquarium..........otherwise you are just having a garden that happens to be underwater.

10. tjbuege

tjbuege Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Yes! Well put.

11. Aquadream

Local Time:
    Aaaa :gwthere are two fishes. Ottocinclus. Ha ha...I keep 80 neon tetras for this aquascape, but it is a bit too early for them. Tank is only two weeks old by now. I put 30 shrimps to graze on the crap.
    And of course I do agree with you 100% about fish in IAPLC aquascapes. It is rubbish not to have any and be graded high up the ranking. Without fish it is so much easier to keep under water gardens.

#11 Aquadream, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2011
  12. Aquadream

Local Time:
    Update 1

I have been turning the "nice" looking rock around. This is what I came up with.[​IMG]

13. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I'm sorry, but I don't really see the difference.....

14. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    I got into this hobby for the fish, like 95% of the people.

No fish = not an aquarium to me.

I'd not worry that much about the quality of rock.........I've seen some nice well done scapes with plain boring rock even, but it was well done.
    Same with wood.

I tend to use maybe 1-2 nice pieces, then want a bunch of smaller plain pieces for accents and slopes etc.
    If the stones are moss covered, then those traits are less important.

15. Aquadream

Local Time:
    Well look at the top right rock. Was it not the one under question? I tried some other rocks there, but non fitted well. Only got pile of mud in the watter.

16. Aquadream

Local Time:
    I also did get into the hobby because of the fish and I have been breeding many over the years. For sime time I am more interested in wierd aquascapes and CRS.
    Before I got involved in the hobby I was an artist and I still am. As such details are important for me. It is the reason for fiddling with the rocks.

17. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Yes, it was that one, but I'd lay it down more flat length wise, touching the other one. I learned from a succesfull aquascaper on IAPLC and AGA some things about rocks, namely that they should touch each other and the pattern should point in the same direction, according to natural formations.

I agree you're trying what is the best, I also fiddle around with them until I like it. Sometimes a small change makes a big difference.

But, anyway, it's your tank. If you like it, that's good enough ;)

#17 dutchy, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2011
  18. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    I think suiskei and dry bed rock scapes might be better to get the right feel you are looking for.
    It takes some "mind's eye" to imagine the plants flowing around these rocks later....as the aquarium grows in.........but otherwise, the hardscape can be done very well out side of the aquarium.

For people interested in effective rock displays, I highly recommend doing Dry scapes, much like traditional Japanese and Chinese styles in landscaping. It is far more refined and instructional, and the aquarist will get a lot more learning involvement, experience this way. Then......they can come back to the aquascape and apply what they have learned without having to mess their aquarium up as much and with less labor.

I often do this with driftwood. Gerry's tank and few others I did this.
    Green astro turf fake grass is useful for Iwagumi or a child's sand box etc.
    Then you can practice till you are sick and tired.

I've only doen a few rock scapes and only 1-2 I was remotely happy with.
    I've done landscaping terrestrial displays I was far happier with, but I spend more time there, than with rock in aquariums, I simply have so much wood available.

I likely will do some new things using wood instead of rock for Iwagumi.
    Some call using wood one of the "Do not do"'s of aquascaping.

I cannot find any good reason why not however. Depends on the wood also, but I have plenty of rock like pieces from the manzy burl bases.
    I also have ample amounts of Cypress castle like pieces.

Still, I think a steeper slope in this tank would allow you to highlight the rock better(this is often true for many aquariums) and present the design better. In person, I know the slope and look is better than in the picture.......but adding more slope will help even more.

19. chopsticks

chopsticks Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    I'm one of the other 5%, I like aquariums for the plants, fish are a compliment for them, like the birds in my backyard. I have a 70gal tank with just 6 platies and I think it is just fine as it is :D

20. Aquadream

Local Time:
    There is one fundamental problem with aquascaping. It is the optic distortion added by the water volume. Things under water in the aquarium always look closer than they really are. I bid it is impossible for anyone to account for this when fiddling with the scape in dry conditions.

Steeper slope will do no good in this scape, because it will reduce the perspective. When the plants are more developed they will cover the rocks considerably. That is what I am after. That rock on the top right will be covered at least 30% by the Staurogine. When that happens I will decide what to do next.

With me aquascaping is not a project follow up. I do make changes at different stages of development for various reasons.
    Soon I will try some additions of wood decors. If the results are interesting I will publish pictures so we can bubble about it.