My new Juwel Trigon 350, lighting and other issues.

Ian H

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Shipley, West Yorkshire, UK
Finally I've set up my new to me Trigon 350. It's been running almost a week now. Despite the fact it took me far too long to reset it the 6 5"/6" discus are looking well, although 'sulking' and a bit nervous. All of the other fish I got with the deal are happy.........No casualties.

One of the problems I had was that I couldn't prime the Fluval 440. I had to attach my trusty, well matured Eheim 2213 to the tank. Despite the Fluval being out of action for 18 hours, the water stats are awesome. PH 6.8, Ammonia 0,nitrite 0, nitrate 10 ( I had to add KNO3 as this was 0 also), Phosphate 2.0 ( the only negative that is due to my mains water).

The substrate is my own concoction consisting of a mixture of Levington cactus compost, aquatic soil and a quantity of sinking crushed expanded clay pebbles, to a depth of 1" to 2", topped with 1" to 2" of Tahitian moon sand. The water was crystal clear in 12 hours without any floaters. I did wash and rinse all of the components very well.

The 'problem' I have now is lighting. I like the clean lines of the Juwel hood, so I would like to retain it if possible. This is a problem if I try to get to 2w per gallon level. The current lighting is 90w, despite this the plants I put in appear to be growing, for instance the Mexican oak leaf has put on growth without the leaves reducing in size, but it's too soon to evaluate.

I have looked at t6 lighting and if the mfr's claims are correct that would bring it up to 126 WPG. The lights fit the existing balast. T5's possibly would fit the hood with the ballast remotely positioned. AH PC's would be the answer to the light power but would need a serious mod to the hood. What do I do guys? :confused:

Ian

Paul

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Droitwich, UK
Re: My new Juwel Trigon 350, lighting and other issues.

I like the idea of the T6s, never seen them working, but the idea sounds good, go on, be the guinea pig and get them so you tell us if they are any good.

Sounds like you had fun with the filter!! :)

Ian H

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005

Paul said:
I like the idea of the T6s, never seen them working, but the idea sounds good, go on, be the guinea pig and get them so you tell us if they are any good.

Sounds like you had fun with the filter!! :)
I've just ordered 2 T6's online, I'll let you know forthwith.

Not fun at all with the Fluval. Not as good as Eheim IMHO.

Ian

chubasco

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005

Ian, you got some pics forthcoming as well? We all would like to see one of
these "Rolls Royce" tanks, liveried and outfitted. :)

Bill

Ian H

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005

Here's a quick view of my new tank and some fish.

Ian

Id1.jpg