my modified drift wood

nytowl83

Junior Poster
May 26, 2009
I joined two DW to create the look i want. Using epoxy and covering the bond seam with wood shavings from a small wood i sawed off one of the DW.

p6121279.jpg

The picture below shows the extra branch i wanted to have on the lighter DW
p6121281.jpg

Here is the seam covered with wood shavings, once submerged they will all be more or less the same color.... i hope
p6121280.jpg

My very own mini wood working/DIY area!
p6121282.jpg

Cheers!

Ben

nytowl83

Junior Poster
May 26, 2009
finally got my windelovs and java ferns!!

p6131286.jpg

p6131287.jpg

p6131288.jpg

p6131289.jpg

so i guess i dont have to worry about the joined DW having different colors weeee

The DW is pretty neat. There were alot of crevices where i just stuck the fern in instead of tying them in. Of course i still had to do it with a couple of stuffs

after a couple of days of straightening up and water clearing i might decide to add more plants..

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Nice look, you can drill holes etc for fish caves etc, and to add plantlets to.
You can also use stainless steel screws to fuse wood together, often glue is much harder.

Regards,
Tom Barr

nytowl83

Junior Poster
May 26, 2009
Thanks Tom

I was gonna grab my power drill when i noticed the DW already had a lot of crevices on it already :)

I will give the SS screws a go and have my compact power screwdriver a run for its money when i setup my 6 footer (once my wife approves the aquarium stand/cabinet design)

here is a perspective when i lie down on bed

p6141305.jpg

gives a misleading mirage of dense carpeted foreground.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Do lots of water changes and add Excel till things grow in well.

Regards,
Tom Barr

nytowl83

Junior Poster
May 26, 2009
HI Gerryd,

I will take weekly pics.. but most likely will post the fortnightly pics to see a difference

Thanks Tom,

I am a lazy bum when it comes to WC, but i shall force myself 30% a week for a month. I am dosing Excel alternative . then will slow down once everything establishes itself

nytowl83

Junior Poster
May 26, 2009
p6281381.jpg

added a rock and an amazon sword from my 5 gallon... i didnt realize the sword grew that much .

I got bored of the look:)

KentCurtis

Junior Poster
Dec 18, 2008
That is a pretty neat project. I like ow the upper portion of the driftwood kinda forms an overhang if you will.

nytowl83

Junior Poster
May 26, 2009
update

The Brazilian MircoSwords are shooting a fair bit of shoots on a daily basis, I noticed that by this time (3 weeks) all the old roots have been changed to a pure white more tensile roots. I also supplemented phosphate the past week and a half (due to green spot algae)

So iam not sure which one boosted the new shoots coming out.

p7051409.jpg

I also added 4 platys (with black rear fins) and 50 endemic dwarf shrimps found here in the Philippines. I dont know the species yet though, so i am reluctant to add cherry shrimps, i wouldnt want to hybridize.

p7051413.jpg

Cheers!

Ben

nytowl83

Junior Poster
May 26, 2009
update

The Brazilian MircoSwords are shooting a fair bit of shoots on a daily basis, I noticed that by this time (3 weeks) all the old roots have been changed to a pure white more tensile roots. I also supplemented phosphate the past week and a half (due to green spot algae)

So iam not sure which one boosted the new shoots coming out.

p7051409.jpg

I also added 4 platys (with black rear fins) and 50 endemic dwarf shrimps found here in the Philippines. I dont know the species yet though, so i am reluctant to add cherry shrimps, i wouldnt want to hybridize.

p7051413.jpg

added an internal canister filter, my HOB isn't hacking it... i dont know why

Cheers!

Ben

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
Given the overall shape/size of the shrimp I wouldn't throw the cherry shrimp in there either. They look very much like cherry shrimp otherwise so cross breeding is a distinct possibility.

-
S

nytowl83

Junior Poster
May 26, 2009
I agree Shoggoth, seperate tanks for future cherries!

These shrimps are a cocktail of different colors, no one has tried to selectively breed them to isolate the pigments. The guy who breeds these in mass quantities saw blacks, whites, blue, green and the brownish color you see in the photo. But it also may mean that individual shrimps can change their pigmentation too depending on how they feel and the environment or feeds..

The blue and green is something i would like :)

nytowl83

Junior Poster
May 26, 2009
update! got some lotus and added it and took out the amazon sword and rock. I am still having some water sprites float. also added some drift wood so the left most part isnt too boring

p7191448.jpg

p7191454.jpg

p7191449.jpg

I have got so much windelovs its not funny... hehehe so much plantlets too. I also saw some bbaby dwarf (tanay) shrimps! so I guess not all of the new born babies are getting eaten yehey!