My first nano

raducu

Junior Poster
Sep 23, 2009
Bucharest, Romania
Hello everybody!
Although I have registered here a while ago, these are my first lines. I finally found the currage to post. :p
I read and read some more, the information I found here is amasing.
I'm not very new with the hobby, I have aquariums (two, one of 11 gallons and one of 52 gallons) for about 4 years now, but I think I only scratched the surface.

I wanted to show you my little aquarium, but first the "specs". It's an Aquatic-Nature Cocoon set:
  • aquarium 42 liters (about 11 gallons)
  • lighting: Solar Duo Boy 26W.
  • filtration: Hydor hang-on filter, 450 l/h (this wasn't in the set, I changed it)

Fertilisation:
  • ADA Aquasoil Amazonia powder (just the powder)
  • CO2
  • nothing else at the moment

Livestock:
only shrimp: some Sakura and a few Crystal Red.

_MG_9569.jpg

Well, the picture was taken using different lights, I used a 4 x 39W lamp for this one. :) Sorry it's a bit fuzzy in the center... It's not a recent one, I just trimmed it last weekend.

lightyear

Prolific Poster
Sep 24, 2010
raducu;56022 said:
Hello everybody!
Although I have registered here a while ago, these are my first lines. I finally found the currage to post. :p
I read and read some more, the information I found here is amasing.
I'm not very new with the hobby, I have aquariums (two, one of 11 gallons and one of 52 gallons) for about 4 years now, but I think I only scratched the surface.

I wanted to show you my little aquarium, but first the "specs". It's an Aquatic-Nature Cocoon set:
  • aquarium 42 liters (about 11 gallons)
  • lighting: Solar Duo Boy 26W.
  • filtration: Hydor hang-on filter, 450 l/h (this wasn't in the set, I changed it)

Fertilisation:
  • ADA Aquasoil Amazonia powder (just the powder)
  • CO2
  • nothing else at the moment

Livestock:
only shrimp: some Sakura and a few Crystal Red.

_MG_9569.jpg

Well, the picture was taken using different lights, I used a 4 x 39W lamp for this one. :) Sorry it's a bit fuzzy in the center... It's not a recent one, I just trimmed it last weekend.

AWESOME!!!! how did you make that water crystal clear. how old is this tank?

raducu

Junior Poster
Sep 23, 2009
Bucharest, Romania
I started it on March 23rd, but it suffered a lot of changes since. This exact layout was set about a month and a half ago. As I said, it's an old picture, the plants have grown a bit since.
Had some problems with some thread algae meanwhile too. Hopefully, they won't reappear. Oh, yeah, and the Carnegiella is also gone... it jumped out. :(

I'm going to shoot some new pictures soon...

dbazuin

Guru Class Expert
Dec 30, 2009
A real eye catcher.
What is the name of the plant on the right behind the rock.

raducu

Junior Poster
Sep 23, 2009
Bucharest, Romania
The spiky one? It is Eriocaulon Cinereum. But I've taken out the big one in the right, only the small one in the left remains.
I think I'm going to take that out too, they don't really fit in this layout.

dbazuin

Guru Class Expert
Dec 30, 2009
Yes thats the one. Never seen it before.
I think your rigth it is to spiky for this scape.

I also love the rocks I am looking for them here but no luck so far.

dbazuin

Guru Class Expert
Dec 30, 2009
Yes thats the one. Never seen it before.
I think your rigth it is to spiky for this scape.

I also love the rocks I am looking for them here but no luck so far.

raducu

Junior Poster
Sep 23, 2009
Bucharest, Romania
Here's an update of this project. Not much has changed... The last Carnegiella jumped out of the aquarium. :( I took out the Cinereum, the Staurogyne has grown in a bit and I got some new moss with which I replaced the one that was on the twigs. Had to do this because of a small issue with thread algae. I can't seem to be able to get rid of it...

_MG_9819-3.jpg

gmartins

Junior Poster
Jan 21, 2011
Hi,

sorry to bring this old post alive.

I considering to buy the Solar Duo Boy and was just wondering:
- was this plant growth achieved with the Solar Duo Boy 26W alone?

- Also, do you think it is possible to replace the bulb by one with a lower wattage? I know they sell a 13 watt but I'd like to get something in between (e.g. 18 watt). As far as I was able to read this luminaire uses normal fluorescent bulbs with the E27 fitting which can be easily found in wide range of watts.

- Is it wrong to assume that if the luminaire is made to use 26W then it will be no problem to use bulbs of lower W's right?

cheers, G

raducu

Junior Poster
Sep 23, 2009
Bucharest, Romania
Yes, all the plants there are grown under a solar duo, but the 26W version.
About replacing the bulb... I don't know what to say. They are normal fluorescent bulbs, as you say, and there's no power adaptor. I guess you can use any of these kind of bulbs as long as the fitting is the same.

For your third question, if we asume the ideas above to be correct, then I don't see why you sould not use a smaller wattage bulb instead of a 26W one...

Maybe someone else can shine some light on this and give you a better answer.

Forgot to mention that although the plants are grown under a 26W light, the picture was taken using a 4 x 39W lamp "installed" only for the shooting session.

gmartins

Junior Poster
Jan 21, 2011
Thank you for your help raducu.

I suppose that the problem is always to use a lamp with a greater wattage than the indicated. The reverse should not be a problem, I believe.

cheers,

GM