This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

my dosage plan

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by JadeButterfly, Jan 23, 2005.

1. JadeButterfly

JadeButterfly Guru Class Expert

Hey Tom Barr,

My current setup:

Tank: 45G
    Lighting: 2x96W 6700K
    CO2: Going to be adjusted to 30ppm

My tank consist of only glossos, dwarf hairgrass, and a little bit of rotala rotundifolia.
    I've been battling fuzz algae on my glossos and hair algae on my hairgrass for quite sometime. I am planning to prune all the infected plants and redo my dosage schedule.

With my plant load and tank specs. How does this sound?

50% Water change weekly

1/ 2 teaspoon of KNO34x a week (every other day)
    1/8 teaspoon of KH2PO4 4x a week (every other day)
    Traces added on off days as the macro nutrients, so 3x a week, 10mls each time. (2 tablespoon/500ml solution)

Thanks for your advice.

2. chubasco

chubasco Guru Class Expert

Re: my dosage plan

JadeButterfly,
    If I may stick my nose in here: I think 2 X 96w over a 45 gallon is too much
    light which may be creating your algae woes. This is equivalent to 5.5-6 wpg
    of NO lighting, maybe more. 2 x 55w 6700K would have been a better choice, all the light you need for just about anything.

The 45 gallon, same footprint as a 3-foot 50 only a couple inches shorter?
    I'm planning on getting that size or a 65g 4-footer. Like the 18" front-to-back
    depth of those tanks for aquascaping ;)

Your 4x a week regimen every other day only works on planets that have 8
    days in a week, reminiscent of an old Beatles' tune. :D Just kidding, everything
    you've listed looks like textbook Barr (EI, when he gets around to writing the textbook :) )except for the lighting.

My 2c,

Bill Ruyle

3. fosteder

fosteder Guru Class Expert

Actually it is only 4.3 w/gal. I've heard of people using a lot more with lots of success. How long are the lights on each day?

4. chubasco

My 5.5-6 wpg is estimated for normal output fluorescent bulbs. CF lighting has
    up to 1/3 more intensity at equivalent wattage (using appropriate reflectors). The watts-per-gallon rule was originally based on NO fluorescent lighting.

5. chubasco

One more thing: I like to equate what we do with our tanks to the "Fire Triangle." I'm sure you've seen this where the 3 sides are labeled HEAT, OXYGEN, FUEL. If you remove just one of these, the fire goes out.
    In planted tanks our triangle is CO2, LIGHT, NUTRIENTS. If you increase
    one thing, you correspondingly have to increase the others...or bad juju happens :( With 4.3 watts of cf lighting, the "metabolism" of the tank is elevated to where you need to increase the CO2 and nutrients as well.
    I may have an imperfect understanding of EI, but I thought it was based
    on roughly 2-3 watts per gallon of *equivalent* NO fluorescent lighting.

But isn't the method moveable--up and down the wattage? :)

Well, I was going to delete this message entirely, but decided to leave the above as a shining banner to my misconceptions. :confused: My triangle
    theory doesn't really encompass water quality: low/hi KH, low/hi GH, etc. I
    distinctly remember Tom(?) embroiled on an APD thread where you don't need
    the light intensity of a newborn sun to grow gloss. Guess I'll check their archives....

6. JadeButterfly

JadeButterfly Guru Class Expert

since my initial post almost a month ago.

I have still used 2x96W on a 12hr period

I adjusted the CO2 according to what I thought was just right.

I have been dosing EI half the amount that I stated initially.

so far everything is working out great.

even with this amonut of light, i feel it is not enough. My glosso carpet is getting kinda leggy...but I still haven't quite narrow down why...