This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

My dog is eating amano shrimps!

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Omegatron, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Omegatron

Omegatron Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    10:33 PM
    Hi,

So yeah no joke. My dog is eating amano shrimps. I have a rimless tank and the water surface is 1 cm below the glass height. For some reason the amano's jump out and then my dog catches them and eat them. Funny but expensive lol.

Is there any reason why the amano's jump out? Is there anything i can do about it (obviously i could get a cover but that goes against the reason why i have a rimless tank)

Thanks!

2. antbug

antbug Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    1cm to the top is too full. I would do at least an inch. Amano shrimp jump because something is off on your water. Check your parameters and post them.

3. Solcielo lawrencia

Local Time:
    Probably ammonia or nitrite in the water.

4. Omegatron

Local Time:
    The fish are fine, its not that all amano's are trying to leave the tank at once. Its just something i noticed for a few weeks now. I think during a period of 2 months 4 amano's jumped out. 1 i could save.

Been reading that a lot of folks have this problem. Some are talking about this is their nature. Trying to go to a new pond or whatever. Since all my fish are fine and its not that all amanos are trying to jump out i wonder if its the water.

5. Solcielo lawrencia

Local Time:
    The green neon tetras may be more tolerant of ammonia than the shrimp are and the ammonia levels may be low enough that the fish aren't affected.

6. Matt F.

Matt F. Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Amano shrimp are more curious by nature than other shrimp. They go on long expeditions and oftentimes forget that they need water to live. Newly introduced amano shrimp are frequently more prone to this behavior. Water parameters don't realty have much to do with it. You could introduce amanos to an established tank, and they will climb out. If they are used to their tank and environment, they may stay put. Curiosity killed the cat, etc. We've had amanos walk across our hardwood floor. Giuseppe Salvado over at SFBAAPS breeds amanos (yes they are real amanos, he knows how), and he has even had them wander out of his tanks. He's the one who thinks that the new environment factor is most likely the cause of this behavior.

#6 Matt F., Dec 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2013
  7. feh

feh Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I agree with you Matt. I've had Amano shrimp for a good while, but I've only found one that went on an excursion. Found him the next morning half way to the bedroom from my counter top tank in the kitchen. Odd part is the tank was covered with a small hood/fixture. My guess is it got out of the back of the tank where the filter was.

8. Omegatron

Local Time:
    Thank you all for the feedback, So i wonder with a lot of people that have rimless tanks and even mr. Amano why is it only with a few of us that have this problem of Amano shrimps jumping out?? It happens to me on a daily basis.

In the meantime i put a glass plate on top of the tank, doesnt look nice at all but it keeps the shrimp in the tank. its really horrible looking. These 2 pieces are resting on the glass of the tank.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apart from getting better glass that i can use as a cover (like the ADA glass covers that puts the cover inside the tank and holding it with hooks) can you guys give me other reccomendations? Covering the top takes the clean look away, which was the entire reason for me to go rimless.

Dont know what to do now, finally got a nice tank and imo a nice scape, also plants are really beginning to look nice now. There is always something to f** up my enthousiam for this hobby. Who would have thought it would be shrimps :mad:

9. Yo-han

Yo-han Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I've had Amano shrimp leaving the tanks multiple times. Always because of CO2. Once I found over 20 shrimps all over my apartment. My CO2 didn't turned off. At the lfs I work it happened quite often in the weekend, and I wondered why. It was because CO2 was on a timer, but light was kept off all weekend. So CO2 wasn't used but was injected for two days. Shrimps are more sensitive for CO2 than most fish IME, so check your CO2 as well.

10. Omegatron

Local Time:
    Hi johan, im wondering about the co2 making them jump out of the tank if its too high. For a week now i use the glass cover and obviously they cant jump out. But if co2 is too high then shouldnt i have found dead amano shrimp in the tank? I mean i have had amano's die in my old tank because of co2 (tank had a cover) but havent found any yet in this tank. So now thinking that no dead shrimp = co2 level fine. What do you think?

11. Omegatron

Local Time:
    My problem is solved. I waited a week to be sure but it all came down to CO2. like Yo-han suspected it was too high. i lowered it a bit and keep a close eye for a week (it was the holidays) and i havent seen a single amano shrimp jump out again. Also i dont see the dog chewing on them either.

big thanks for all the help!

12. Gilles

Gilles Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi Omegatron; if you need any cover; go for a white (or black)-ish mesh; like the've done on the "Innovative Marine SR80 Nuvo"

[​IMG]