My CO2 misting experiment

Henry Hatch

Guru Class Expert
Aug 31, 2006
I tried a co2 misting experiment I would like to share. It's very simple. I took a length of rigid airline tubing and melted the end shut over a candle. While the plastic was still soft I stuck a pin in the end and left it in place until the plastic hardened and then pulled the pin out. I attached the rigid tubing to my co2 line and stuck it in an uplift tube with a power head on top. I got what appeared to be a fine mist and so far the co2 levels seem to be holding up.

This is a 20 gallon tank with diy co2. I had tried limewood air diffusors, but the low pressure was a problem.

I wanted to try something that did not require modifying impellers etc. I would be interested if some of you who have used other methods such as a needle wheel impeller tried this and could compare the two.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
If you can increase the dwell time inside the impeller housing, then you get better mist. If you make the intake more like a compress throat on a mazzei, you will get better draw and thus better misting. Higher flow rates will also do this.

Regards,
Tom Barr