My attempt at a 120 gallon.

Pikez

Rotala Killer!
May 12, 2013
Close (but not too close) to LA
Random thoughts...The front and left quadrant looks good and filled in. What're your plans for the back and center right? Rot wallichii may be better if moved a little to the right where it does not have to compete with the Pantanal. Is that Lud simpsonii next to/left-behind the Hygro araguaia? I'd replace that with Limno rugosa, or Acmella, or Bacopa sp (new colorata is nice) or even Lobelia. That spot needs a thick bush of something with round bright green leaves. My choice would be Limno rugosa for it brightness…that spot is a design focal point that needs love. A bunch of Persicaria in the back left would contrast nicely with the Syngonanthus, I think. If you want to be subtle, go with kawagoaenum. If you want a little slap-ya-in-tha-face then Sao Paulo. I'd let it break the surface just a hint.

SwampGremlin

Jun 1, 2015
Cap Coral, Florida
Pikez said:
Random thoughts...The front and left quadrant looks good and filled in. What're your plans for the back and center right? Rot wallichii may be better if moved a little to the right where it does not have to compete with the Pantanal. Is that Lud simpsonii next to/left-behind the Hygro araguaia? I'd replace that with Limno rugosa, or Acmella, or Bacopa sp (new colorata is nice) or even Lobelia. That spot needs a thick bush of something with round bright green leaves. My choice would be Limno rugosa for it brightness…that spot is a design focal point that needs love. A bunch of Persicaria in the back left would contrast nicely with the Syngonanthus, I think. If you want to be subtle, go with kawagoaenum. If you want a little slap-ya-in-tha-face then Sao Paulo. I'd let it break the surface just a hint.

Thanks for the thought, yeah i know the right side is a bit dull havent decided what im going to do yet in that area the rotala wallichii i propagated there is about 30 small dudes back there you cant see yet till they grow. I was thinking about trading the dwarf Bonsai and Ludwigia sp. "Guinea" spots. a of right now i only have 2 stems of Sao Paulo , you were saying let those break the surface? if so does that make them shoot runners? The Sao Paulo on the right is almost at the

surface.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pikez

Rotala Killer!
May 12, 2013
Close (but not too close) to LA
I don't think the Lud Guinea is doing much there. Not the most striking species. You may do well with the limno dwarf bonsai in its place. the limno and the syngonanthus aren't exactly contrasting where they are anyway. The only reason why I was suggesting that you let a couple of the Persicaria break the surface it that right now you have very little action there. I'd keep most of them below the surface and let just one or two break the surface.

SwampGremlin

Jun 1, 2015
Cap Coral, Florida
Pretty soon im going to be running out of room and having to throw alot of these plant trimmings away what a waste. Its hard for me i just hacked the heck out of my beautiful Ludwigia red and had to throw it in the trash it was really hard for me to do LOL.

Same goes for the UG its about almost full in its little spot and startin to creep under its border.

Jason King

barrreport.com
Staff member
Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
UK
barrreport.com
SwampGremlin said:
Ok heres what mind boggles me now be in mind that 1 US dollar =.95 euros
http://www.thegreenmachineonline.com/shop/ada-maintenance-stand-clear-type-b/

http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76_6_57&products_id=329

looking to get a nice maintanace stand but how can the prices of these items be the same or close to the same

The green machine UK is in UK pound £ not euro € so its about 1.5 to the dollar, $245 dollars :( looks like USA wins with $169 dollars

SwampGremlin

Jun 1, 2015
Cap Coral, Florida
New Christmas Goodies!!! Thanks for askin...I had a 3 day green water bloom nothin a huge UV light didnt fix in 3 days tho, i think cleaning out my sump then running out of CO2 had alot to do with it other than that zero other misc algae Ph dropping 1.1 degree and everything seems to be growing great and healthy.s

113F2672-B635-481B-A82F-E37F32F96FA3.jpg

SwampGremlin

Jun 1, 2015
Cap Coral, Florida
I'm Thinking way to much Tonia. I also notice that a UV light will completely rid you of surface scum of any kind. I run a small ss screen and it seems that i need to take it off of the tank everyday for an hour to let the small amount of scum go through the skimmer easier it clears right up, but with this UV light its crystal clear on the surface. What's the root cause.. was it bacteria possibly?

SwampGremlin

Jun 1, 2015
Cap Coral, Florida
Well, i had some plants growing outside and didn't realise they had some florida native hair algae on them =D fml. now my R wachilli and a few of my pantanal have dates with these skinny little green guys. I am hoping that 50% lighting and manual removal some patients will be the answer to this problem. But on a good note i put the second reactor on and added the bio ballls to the second reactor so now it goes first reactor then 14ft 3/4 spa flex then into the second reactor half full of bio balls then to the main pump back to tank and i virtually have zero bubbles in the water. Also while i was messing around with that i noticed that the CPR wet/dry has three little holes in the side leading to the open chamber area (forgive me for not knowing the name of this open area) i seal those with duct tape and boy i had to turn my Co2 down. came home from work and the PH was down at 5.8 from 7 ph and the co2 was only on for 2 hours i do not have a ph controller anymore got rid of it.Is this to low or do i want to go lower than that? im very happy now that i dont have 120g seltzer water display tank now.I also started using that pillow stuffing from Michael's in my sump tray for filter my water does seem clearer is this stuff ok or will this remove nutrients or anything?Also since i dont have shrimp as of yet in this tank i noticed that removing my ss screen from my skimmer has made a slight improvement as well.