This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

My attempt at a 120 gallon.

Discussion in 'Aquascaping' started by SwampGremlin, Sep 4, 2015.

1. SwampGremlin

SwampGremlin Member

Local Time:
    3:40 PM
    Plants came in yesterday thought i would share some pictures. Thanks to all the freindly people from the barr report that answered all my questions so that i could gain knowledge of this wonderful hobby.

2. SwampGremlin

SwampGremlin Member

Local Time:
    Forgive the cloudy water i just did a water change and will be doing one everyday for 2 weeks.

3. SwampGremlin

SwampGremlin Member

Local Time:
    First 2 weeks

ADA aquasoil, 75% R/O 25% Tap daily water changes for the first 2 weeks no dosing

GH booster to keep GH around 6 Baking Soda to keep KH @ 2

Tons of Co2 no live creatures cept 2 small rcs that snuck in with my Bio bale i have sitting in another sump to gain bacteria.

PH 6.6 ish --->(crap test kit)

Sealed Sump and Sealed Over Flow Lid (Duct Tape)

If i seem to be doing anything wrong feel free to interject.

4. kevinmichael77

kevinmichael77 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    What are the dimensions of that tank and who made it?

Looks great. I would play wound with the scape a bit.

5. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Those plants should all grow in pretty fast and well, trimming will take up a lot of time here in a month or so.

You might do WC's once every 2-3 days

No real need unless there's a serious issue for daily.............

6. SwampGremlin

SwampGremlin Member

Local Time:
    Miracles in Glass out of canada made the tank and stand.

Had another layout planned for this tank that i thought looked really cool but unfortunately it would have restricted flow plus the fact i had a bunch of unhappy plants on my counter top dying to get in the the water i felt some what in a rush which stinks. I am fairly new to this and felt hard pressed to get the plants into a stable environment as quick as possible.Wish i would have had a few more hours to play around with the scape my self it looks rushed does it?

#6 SwampGremlin, Sep 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2015
  7. SwampGremlin

SwampGremlin Member

Local Time:

Alright Thanks Tom. The person i purchased the plants from suggested daily water changes.

What would you say is a good sign its ok to start Dosing?

8. DanielC03

DanielC03 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I like settings. Data could provide the equipment? filter?

9. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    7:40 AM
    This tank looks so familiar. Looking great already

10. Solcielo lawrencia

Local Time:
    The plant placement isn't the best. The tall stems should be close to the wood, not the glass.

11. SwampGremlin

SwampGremlin Member

Local Time:
    Gotcha maybe ill do some messin around tonight play with that idea.

12. SwampGremlin

SwampGremlin Member

Local Time:
    Did some replanting and rescaped the wood also trimmed the Tonia, i edited the bottom 5 photos darkened them due to the water beings cloudy from rescaping so it didnt look so white.

#12 SwampGremlin, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2015
  13. SwampGremlin

SwampGremlin Member

Local Time:
    Well did an enitre rescape.

14. SwampGremlin

SwampGremlin Member

Local Time:
    Did entire rescape today.

15. SwampGremlin

SwampGremlin Member

Local Time:
    Did an enitre rescape today.

16. SwampGremlin

SwampGremlin Member

Local Time:
    2 people like this.
  17. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Fun deja vu feeling here. :) Curious to see if plants do just as well for you.

18. SwampGremlin

SwampGremlin Member

Local Time:
    Yes im a newb and stepping into dangerous waters here its been a week and only missed one water change day i change water every day strait R/O i would hate to see these plants get covered in green im scared to dose right now the only thing im dosing is GH Booster to get GH up and alittle bit of baking soda to bring KH to about 2 i put a pinch of kno3 and a pinch of phosphate in aswell no where near EI dose lvl its day 4 and i am starting to see the cyno creep in but im nuking it with H2O2 in a syringe seems to likes my UG tho most UG is fizzing as i type this. I had a bunch of Bio bale from my old sump to put in this sump i know its far from making it mature but figure it would cushion the blow a bit. im sort of scared to reduce light afraid some of the high light plants will not take to kindly to this. Small amounts or green hair algae is on about 25% of the leaves in the tank. SHrimp are molting just fine and added a dozen RCS to the tank 2 days ago.

If anyone has any tidbits of info i sure would apreciate some input on the Do's and Dont's when first starting up a tank like this.I have a lot invested in the plants and would love to lose no more than 10% of them to the algae monsters.

Thanks for viewing.

I Have one of those Aquarium Plants.com electronic regulator and the 40 in cerges with rio diy needle wheel loop and about 17 feet of dwell hosing circling the top of the stand inside the stand case. The regulator is turned up to max and the fish are making it and not gasping and it does look a little like wine in my tank but not horribly bubbled.

#18 SwampGremlin, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2015
  19. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    If you're doing daily water changes to prevent algae, then I think you case ease up a bit. You should expect SOME algae issues in the beginning. DIfferent ones will come and go. It won't be a permanent state. If you emulate Tom's maintenance as closely as you have the hardware, the algae will go away after a month or two.

Being scared to dose ferts does not bode well. With new Aquasoil, you don't need a lot of nitrates during the first month or so. With your WC schedule, I suspect you will run out of potassium very soon. I dosed everything but nitrates during the first month. Half dose of everything but N during the first week or two. Then full dose of everything including N by weeks 3 and 4. I had lots of algae by then and it's hard not to freak out a little. I had at least 5 types of algae during the first month. By week 6, I think, all algae magically disappeared.

Never let algae dictate your fert dosage and regimen.

I would not have added shrimp/fish this early. Too much ammonia for them, but with your WC, ammonia probably does not build up. You also have partially mature filter media. Since you've added critters, you're kinda committed to the water changes now...

You have very high light and probably high CO2. So if you don't have proportionally high fert level, you're kinda screwed. Don't be scared of ferts!

20. SwampGremlin

SwampGremlin Member

Local Time:

Thank you very much for the information now i have a little more confidence. I greatly appreciate informative feed back.