my 60 cube

jazzlvr123

Guru Class Expert
Jul 3, 2007
hey here's what my tank looks like today. i junked the mazzei and went back to the classic diffuser disc. i found that the increased flow is more important to a healthy tank than they size of the co2 bubbles co2 will diffuse into the water either way. anyways things have been very steady in the tank. no algae at all (knock on wood)

I'm just waiting for the newly planted tonina belem and HC to grow out and then things will start looking good.

IMG_1438.jpg

IMG_1440.jpg

IMG_1433.jpg

plants are:
rotala mexicana sp. green
lobelia cardinalis
HC
rotala macrandra
echinodorus vesuvius
tonina belem
ludwigia grandulosa
micranthemum umbrosum

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
Just criticism. It looks too good. Start over. ;P

When you ditched the mazzei, did you change the pump out for more flow or was the mazzei restricting the flow? Is the diffusor in an optimal spot or did you just stick it on the side for convenience? Unfortunately the blue tubing kind of draws your eye to it, maybe black or clear tubing at some point or shove the whole thing out of site and just use the improved flow to distribute the CO2?

-
S

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Is this the tank for the Bolbitus and Java?

I found the 60 cube is hard shape to scape overall.

Too tall really.

So only certain wood and rock scapes seem to look good in it.

I'll be taking some new pics of the CRS/Brass tetra tank, it's ready.
I used a large piece of Bald Cypress. Only 2 species of plant and 75 tetras.
I just need to clean it a bit.

It has about 1.7w/gal also of PC light and that's with 14" distance above the tank, low tennellus foreground(and it's still pretty reddish).

Might give you some ideas.
I'll post in a day or two.

Regards,
Tom Barr

jazzlvr123

Guru Class Expert
Jul 3, 2007
Tom Barr;36761 said:
Is this the tank for the Bolbitus and Java?

I found the 60 cube is hard shape to scape overall.

Too tall really.

So only certain wood and rock scapes seem to look good in it.

I'll be taking some new pics of the CRS/Brass tetra tank, it's ready.
I used a large piece of Bald Cypress. Only 2 species of plant and 75 tetras.
I just need to clean it a bit.

It has about 1.7w/gal also of PC light and that's with 14" distance above the tank, low tennellus foreground(and it's still pretty reddish).

Might give you some ideas.
I'll post in a day or two.

Regards,
Tom Barr

no bolbitis and java were for a clients tank i did a low tech setup this one is for my personal satisfaction. funny cuz i love the look of this tank in person lol im not a god photographer. im gonna wait for the foreground and tonina belem to grow out then them maybe go for a rescape after that. im about to leave the tank for three weeks so heck after three weeks of no maintenance it might be demolished when I get back :D

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Reduce the light before you leave.
The ADA As will save you some nutrient wise.........

Yes, such is the case with pics and tanks, some of the nicest tanks I've ever seen looked terrible in photo's.

Some of the top scapes in person did not impress me much.

So hard to say.

Photos are an entire other level and aspect of the hobby.
One that's very web friendly............

So it stands to reason why it's a big deal.

So would some darker brown or red colored crypts look better to you in place of the Lobelia? Would that = better contrst and texture to you and your eyes?

As stated, in person is different and it's your decision and choice, so critques are really just someone else bitchin about something they have not really seen in person..........not what is best for you.

You need to learn and evolve there to become a better scaper, not just have folks whine about what they like. I give suggestions to consider and questions to ask, ideas, then you decide from there and play around with it.

Regards,
Tom Barr