Murky tank

deucebiggss

Guru Class Expert
Aug 31, 2009
Hey guys, It will be 4 weeks Fri since I filled my tank up. I have had my ups and downs, but for the most part the plants are doing great. It is cycled and the plants are using up the nitrates. It is now time to add some ferts. My tank water is not crystal clear. I would say a bit murky yellow. I am wondering if it is the Aquasoil or my Drift Wood. Or is this a natural process for planted tanks. I know when you set up a non planted tank the water can get cloudy with a white haze. Will my 50% weekly water changes take care of this murky yellow color or do I need to add some carbon???

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Yes, Yes Yes, True, Yes, Probably Not

Hi,

The yellow part can easily be the Aquasoil and or the driftwood. The murky part bothers me a bit, after four weeks the ‘fines’ should have settled, unless you have been rooting around in the tank. A little Sodium thiophosphate might help clear the water.

It is possible you are having a bacterial bloom, normally white cloudy, could be the tannins have just dyed the whole tank yellow. Bacterial blooms are not big concern. :)

Water changes are always a good idea, if you can handle it a 70% or so water change followed in two days by another 70% water change than another water change on your normal day. ;)

I would not use carbon yet. The tank is still young. :)

I know everyone thinks this question weird but, here goes, What does the tank water smell like? :rolleyes:

Biollante

deucebiggss

Guru Class Expert
Aug 31, 2009
I already smelt it and it smells like nothing with a hint of pond, but not bad at all :eek:. I did put tank water in a white mug and it is a bit yellow. I definately know it is not white. I did notice some of my HC leaves have some brown on them. I think I have some Diatoms in my tank?? Some other plant leaves have brown on them. Should I increase my lighting?? Lights are on from 8am until 5pm. Lights are 4 CF, 2 are 55watts and 2 are 65watts. Thanks

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
What size is the tank?
Does the brown on the leaves rub off?
What's the circulation like?

-
S

deucebiggss

Guru Class Expert
Aug 31, 2009
72 gallon bow front. And don't know about rubbing it off the leaves, I do have a spot on my ADA lily pipe. That's why I am assuming it. I am pretty confident that my current is good. I can see the grains of the sand substrate vibrating. Plants move left to right. I have 2 Eheim cannisters and an Eheim powerhead. I did read that at about 1 month brown algae can make an appearance.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Water Changes-Good!

deucebiggss;47080 said:
72 gallon bow front. And don't know about rubbing it off the leaves, I do have a spot on my ADA lily pipe. That's why I am assuming it. I am pretty confident that my current is good. I can see the grains of the sand substrate vibrating. Plants move left to right. I have 2 Eheim cannisters and an Eheim powerhead. I did read that at about 1 month brown algae can make an appearance.

Hi,

Water changes and wipe off all the brown stuff you can. :)

That the water smells ‘clean and fresh’ is an important indicator that all is well. :cool:

Get used to the way things smell, feel the water (clean hands please), rub the water between your fingers, it will not mean anything now just get in the habit. Feel the difference before and after water changes, when things go wrong (they will). Feel and smell the water and parts of your filters, it will surprise you how much you learn this way, many do this without being conscious of the practice. :gw

A word on lighting, your life will be easier with less lighting, back off in steps and you will find many problems just do not get started and life is just easier. :cool:

Enough old potted plant blathering, I have been told it comes off preachy, teachy, condescending, I do not mean it that way. :eek:

Biollante

Tug

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2009
Washington, DC
How do you like those two filters?

Keep on circulating.
Yea, buddy. Getting fresh, clean surface water to the down low, not so easy. Keep on cleaning the filter. Add frequent water changes at first. With water - when in doubt throw it out. Water changes can help clean out dead plant mater and remove a source of nitrogen. Cleaning your filter increases flow. A nice smell to your tank, good. Oxygen in this case sounds good. "Plants moving left to right." - all sounds really, really good.
deucebiggss;47060 said:
My tank water is not crystal clear. I would say a bit murky yellow. I am wondering if it is the Aquasoil or my Drift Wood. Or is this a natural process for planted tanks. I know when you set up a non planted tank the water can get cloudy with a white haze. Will my 50% weekly water changes take care of this murky yellow color or...
A carbon filter should clear it up w/in a few days. Run one of the filters using AC for a few days before a water change, if you have one. In any case, three water changes in a week, ten days should clear it up. Lets see.

deucebiggss said:
It is now time to add some ferts.
Go ahead. You've now removed some in the water changes and AC.

deucebiggss;47060 said:
do I need to add some carbon???
If you mean, as in CO2. Yes. Filled with CO2.

Last edited by a moderator: