This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Muriate of Potash and KCl

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by ATM, Oct 5, 2017.

1. ATM

ATM New Member

Local Time:
    1:24 PM
    Is Muriate of Potash and KCl one and the same? I tried using the Nutrient Dosing Calculator v1.5.9 in rotalabutterfy.com using the Muriate of Potash and Potassium Chloride (KCl), but they yield two different results.

Also, there is a warning "The solubility of K at room temperature is N. You should adjust your dose." What is the meaning of N in the statement and what should be the right adjustment?

#1 ATM, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  2. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    5:24 AM
    Yes, Muriate is Chloride. Don't use it - adds too much chloride and you get all the potassium you need from KNO3.

So, go with KNO3 (potassium nitrate) or K2SO4 (potassium sulfate) instead.

@fablau - rotalabutterfly issue...

3. ATM

ATM New Member

Local Time:
    Thanks. Unfortunately, I could not get KNO3 or K2SO4 in my place. Also, I am trying not to dose Nitrate and see if I could control my Algae better. I read in some other forum, that Chloride is not bad, if not in large quantity. I am just confused on what compound to put on the calculator, using KCl and Muriate of Potash yield different results. I do not know where to base my dosing. Thanks a lot for the info, anyway.

4. fablau

fablau rotalabutterfly.com
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    9:24 PM
    Thanks for the heads up, I have checked and they give different results indeed... fact is, Zorfox's calculator is giving the same exact results. Which element is giving the correct results? The "Murriate of Potash" looks off a great deal...

5. fablau

fablau rotalabutterfly.com
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    9:24 PM
    Could you please give me the values you have entered to have that warning showing up? Thanks :)

6. ATM

ATM New Member

Local Time:
    fablau :

Yes, using Muriate of Potash as the compound, it seems to be off as compared to other readings I've done and other videos I watched. Using KCl seems to be okay.

These are the data that I used in the calculator that gives the warning:

55 US gal
    DIY
    Muriate of Potash
    A Solution
    500 ml
    6 ml
    EI daily
    Auto

7. ATM

ATM New Member

Local Time: