Multiple blackout method for algae control

nipat

Guru Class Expert
May 23, 2009
I was hesitated to reduce light level before. Because there was much less pearling, so I was
afraid I might do it wrong, my light level might be too low, etc.

But when I really have lowered my light level nearly by half for 2-3 weeks (less than 2WPG
[I use T8 bulbs]), my plants still do fine. And the best thing is all algae just can't grow. Really,
it just can't grow, although the old one still remains (especially Oedogonium).

However, I'm not sure how long the new leaves will remain Oedogonium free.

Oh well, if only I knew it could be this easy. Now imagine if I started with algae-free plants
under this light level, hmmm :) .

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
I still get a little bit of Oedogonium when my plants reach the top 3 inch of the tank. Lower plants don''t have any algae.

To me that still looks like too much light, although I'm just using 1,35 WPG of T5. Now I could remove the reflectors, but maybe that's going to give me insufficient light at the substrate, since the water depth is 20 inch.

I need a PAR meter!!!!!

As soon as my CO2 is off for some time I get GSA, BBA and Oedogonium following each other in this order. I can stop them kind of fast now, but it makes me think about a non CO2 tank.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Silly Me!

Hi Dutchy,

Oddly enough now that I have a PAR meter, all it really has done is make me realize how silly it was to buy a PAR meter! I spent US$ 300.00 to get a device to tell me to cut my lighting by more than half. :eek:

Hmm… how long to recoup the cost of the meter? Especially given I could have done it for nothing but the price of my subscription here. :p

The thing that really startled me is just how much usable light really gets to the bottom and into the nooks and crannies. :D

Though I think, it will be interesting when I get a little time, to chart the light and compare bulbs, fixtures and such.

Biollante

nipat

Guru Class Expert
May 23, 2009
dutchy;44204 said:
I still get a little bit of Oedogonium when my plants reach the top 3 inch of the tank. Lower plants don''t have any algae.

To me that still looks like too much light, although I'm just using 1,35 WPG of T5. Now I could remove the reflectors, but maybe that's going to give me insufficient light at the substrate, since the water depth is 20 inch.

I need a PAR meter!!!!!

As soon as my CO2 is off for some time I get GSA, BBA and Oedogonium following each other in this order. I can stop them kind of fast now, but it makes me think about a non CO2 tank.

I read Henry's post from this thread http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php?t=6636

You may increase your light and move it farther to lessen the difference of light
levels between surface and bottom. It seems he has a par meter to play with.
So I think it is probably true. Or test the idea using a camera measure a sheet of
paper at different distances from a light source.

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
Biollante;44213 said:
Though I think, it will be interesting when I get a little time, to chart the light and compare bulbs, fixtures and such.

Biollante

That would be a very helpful to a lot of people, since most think the more light the better. Of course Vaughn has already done something with that.

Too bad the US market has very different brands than here in Europe.

Regards,
Dutchy

oheresy

Junior Poster
Oct 12, 2009
If I were to try the blackout method, would I need to stick an airstone in the tank for O2? Or would there be enough for 3 days of BO?

nipat

Guru Class Expert
May 23, 2009
I used airstone everynight. So I used it during black-out too.
Now I don't use it anymore (because my light reflector got stains from the water).

Is airstone needed during black-out or not? I think, no, it's not a must.
But it doesn't hurt either.