Mulm : will it be as affective as ADA powersand?

craynerd

Junior Poster
May 29, 2006
Hi,

I was reading a short while ago that Tom recommended adding mulm under aqua soil in replace of the power sand and tourmaline. I remember a debate as to the actions of powersand and even the integrity of tourmaline (it could be just hocus pocus)

Basically, on my new setup i propose to use aquasoil alone but fancy trying out this idea of using old tank mulm in replace of any other ADA substrate fert.

I have a few questions
1) What is the best way to actually harvest or collect old tank mulm and use it in my setup ?
2) Could you actually explain the bio-chem reactions and science behind using mulm under aquasoil ?

Regards
Chris

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Re: Mulm : will it be as affective as ADA powersand?

Mulm is just organic matter and bacteria.
This just starts the bacterial cycling in the substrate.
It does not directly provide any nutrients really for the plants.

Powersand etc adds pumic and peat and NO3/PO4.

If you add KNO3, KH2PO4 etc to the water column anyway, there's no need for the PS, if you forget etc to dose often and /or do not want to be bothered, then the PS works for a couple of months or so.

AS has some N and P in it as well. But not as much NO3/PO4.

A deep gravel vacuuming is what folks do and let the bucket settle, decant off the clear water/supernatant and save the dirt/soup in the bottom, add about 1/8" deep layer of that and a handful dusting of peat.

Cap with 2-6" ADA aqua soil.

Regards,
Tom Barr

craynerd

Junior Poster
May 29, 2006

Thanks for your quick response.

Regards
Chris

craynerd

Junior Poster
May 29, 2006

Can i just add,

When you say peat, what peat exactly, any recommendations?
And also, what is the purpose of adding the peat?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

Ground peat, Scott's etc from a plant nursery etc.
Not the loose unground stuff. Should cost 1-2$ for a big old bag.

Regards,
Tom Barr

vidiots

Prolific Poster
Apr 29, 2006
Wakefield, NH

You might be able to quickly make your own mulm. I read a post on "The Krib" website a while back about putting your plant clippings into a blender and making sludge out of it. You then put it in a jug with an air line bubbling a few weeks. This was an experiment Roger Miller was trying for naturally composting his own fertilizer. Unfortunately there were no followup posts to say how well things worked or didn't.

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Fertilizer/composting.html

I tried this, now I have a gallon of this dark liquid with sludge at the bottom of it. I plan on trying it on a small patch of the lawn to see what happens. I did this as described in the post, but in my garage. I didn't have any foul oders stinking up the garage, but wouldn't recommend sniffing the top of the open bottle.

craynerd

Junior Poster
May 29, 2006

Anyone got any ideas if this mulm production method works.

Chris