This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

MTS and Fertz

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by pdavis41, Apr 19, 2011.

1. pdavis41

pdavis41 Lifetime Members

Local Time:
    12:53 AM
    I am going to be changing to a MTS substrate soon. I have read so many differing views on other forums that I figure posting this question here will give me at least somewhat sound advice.

If I have MTS substrate, do I need to dose the water column still?

Now I know a little more info on my tank will help. It is a 75g with a eco-complete cap. When I switch over to the MTS I will also be moving away from most stems in my tank. I will have mostly crypts and Staurogyne Repens, and Echinodorus tenellus. The only stems I'm planning on having are a cluster of Hygrophila Corymbosa 'Siamensis' and Hygrophila salicifolia - Willow Leaf.

I haven't decided if the Anubias Nana and Java Fern in the tank are staying or going yet.

I am currently dosing EI with weekly water changes. livestock load is as follows: about a dozen neon tetras, 6 black fin tetras, 8 or so raspora tetras, around a dozen cories (most young), 8 bristle nose plecos (most young), 1 siamese algae eater, thousands (ok...exaggeration) of trumpet snails.

Lighting is a catalina 3x54w T5HO mounted about 4 inches above the tank. Photo period is 9 hours on one bulb. Only running one bulb right now. Thinking of dropping down to T5NO bulbs in the future to get a better control but that is for a different thread.

Filtration is one Rena Filstar XP3 with a hydor 300w heater and a PVC CO2 reactor. XP3 just had a new impeller put in.

CO2 starts 1 hour before the lights come on and stops one hour before lights turn off. Currently about 1 to 2 bubbles per second.

If you need anything else that I'm forgetting right now, to give a better educated answer let me know. My main concern is that if I change over and continue to dose EI will I cause huge problems?

2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

Dosing the water column will not hurt in any way and can only help. Plants can assimilate both via roots and leaves so this provides an additional source of nutrient uptake to the plants...not dosing would deprive them of this uptake source and that seems not right :) Remember not all plants have roots or are NOT anchored to the substrate (java, anubias, etc). Dosing the water column seems logical to me.....

No reason not to continue EI dosing, you may choose to reduce it slightly due to the MTS...Reduce by 10-20% for several weeks maybe and see how that goes...You may want to continue full EI until the MTS is matured a bit....

I think your 1 bulb of T5HO is plenty based on your plant choices....or go to 2x NO for a better spread....

It wouldn't hurt to add another small canister as your fish grow (the bristle noses) and to provide some backup/redundancy.

Sounds good. Add some pics!

#2 Gerryd, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2011
  3. pdavis41

Local Time:
    Thanks! I just added the MTS today. So this was perfect timing. Fish are currently in a different tank while everything settles down and should be heading back into the tank tomorrow.

I did just add another XP3 to the system. My old one started leaking and I was planning on doing it in the future anyway, so I picked a 2nd one up. The old one just needed a good cleaning around one of the seals (new o-rings on order to be safe).

I will start snapping some photos tomorrow once the bubbles calm down. The city water has way too much gas in it. I'm a little behind in updating my tank journal so this will force me to!

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    With organic soils, ADA etc, I tend to suggest doing 2x a week 50-60% for the 1st month.
    Make sure to have some current at the surface for O2 for the fish, this will make the CO2 dosing easier and less risk.

Some folks suggest not dosing the water column.
    As if it's some horrid complex chore from Hades or something..........
    Dosing is very easy.....remember when and which tank is not easy........
    So the MTS, ADA As etc offers a back up for us forgetful folks.

Dosing the water makes the sediment last that much longer, since there's less draw from that source.
    Common sense, but that is very often lost on the Web.
    We already know and have demonstrated many times over decades that the nutrients leached into the water does NOT CAUSE algae, so that is a no brainer and a non reason as well.

"Just because I wanna not dose and see" is the often popular response when faced with common sense and logic:)
    Heard this a dozen or more times...........

May as well not wipe their butt also while they are at it.
    See how that works out for them.

The dual XP3 is a good call/idea.
    Cannot have too much filter.

There's also a Windy City fish/plant club I believe. Might wanna look into the local group, often times, some local members can help out in many ways.

5. pdavis41

Local Time:
    Thanks Tom. That was pretty much what I was figuring after reading around here for a while but wanted to double check.

I know there is a planted aquarium club of chicago as I helped start it. There are a few other clubs around but not as active any more. The biggest organization around here is the Cichlid group.

6. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Try offering free plants to to the public for joining the Club. No membership dues.......etc.
    Ads in Craig's list, other clubs etc.

Plant swaps only, no plant sales etc........

This will bring new folks.