Moving to low cost alternatives. Questions...

D

Daniel

Here it goes...

For starters I was wondering if Metricide 14-Day was a legitimate alternative to Flourish Excel. If so, are their unnecessary additives that could cause problems?
What site would you recommend purchasing dry fertilizer from?
Which fertilizers do I need?
Whats the difference between Magnesium Sulfate and Potassium Sulfate?
Should I just use premixed or use the individual chemicals?

Sorry for all of the questions but I'm new to the planted aquarium scene (please forgive the noob questions). I have spent a fortune on Flourish products and feel that its time to move on to better and cheaper chemicals. If there is any more general knowledge questions that I left out please add them. I know that at some point in the past these questions have probably been answered in some way, shape, or form but I could really use some help so I went ahead and asked in a new thread.

Thank you in advance for all of your help.

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
D

Daniel

Thank you for the links but I still don't know if the Metricide (without activator) has any unnecessary ingredients that could cause issues in an aquarium. After all we are talking about a high level disinfectant.

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
D

Daniel

PERFECT! Thanks Barbarossa. I found the link extremely helpful and I appreciate the time that you devoted to helping me. :)

Crispino Ramos

Guru Class Expert
Apr 23, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
When you say - "Now, lets assume that you dilute it at a ratio of 1.5(Glutaraldehyde):1(distilled water) you end up with a percentage of 1.8% Glutaraldehyde--just over the excel level. This will make your 1 gallon of Metricide turn into 1 2/3 gallon(1.666) gallons of Excel equivalent." - is the ratio in milliliters or what?

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Crispino Ramos;49884 said:
Are you saying, to make an Excel-like solution - a .666 gallon of RO/DI water is added to a gallon of Metricide14?

Hi,

This is how I make almost 2L of Excel like solution: Mix 750ml of DI water with 1125ml of Metricide14.