This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Moving to low cost alternatives. Questions...

Discussion in 'Talk to Tom Barr' started by Daniel, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Daniel

Daniel Guest

Local Time:
    10:59 AM
    Here it goes...

For starters I was wondering if Metricide 14-Day was a legitimate alternative to Flourish Excel. If so, are their unnecessary additives that could cause problems?
    What site would you recommend purchasing dry fertilizer from?
    Which fertilizers do I need?
    Whats the difference between Magnesium Sulfate and Potassium Sulfate?
    Should I just use premixed or use the individual chemicals?

Sorry for all of the questions but I'm new to the planted aquarium scene (please forgive the noob questions). I have spent a fortune on Flourish products and feel that its time to move on to better and cheaper chemicals. If there is any more general knowledge questions that I left out please add them. I know that at some point in the past these questions have probably been answered in some way, shape, or form but I could really use some help so I went ahead and asked in a new thread.

Thank you in advance for all of your help.

2. barbarossa4122

barbarossa4122 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    4:59 PM
  3. Daniel

Daniel Guest

Local Time:
    Thank you for the links but I still don't know if the Metricide (without activator) has any unnecessary ingredients that could cause issues in an aquarium. After all we are talking about a high level disinfectant.

4. barbarossa4122

Local Time:
    Hi,

I don't know of any unnecessary ingredients but, people are using it without problems. Maybe someone else here can help you with this.
    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2917&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

5. Daniel

Daniel Guest

Local Time:
    PERFECT! Thanks Barbarossa. I found the link extremely helpful and I appreciate the time that you devoted to helping me. :)

6. barbarossa4122

Local Time:
    You welcome:)

7. Crispino Ramos

Crispino Ramos Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    When you say - "Now, lets assume that you dilute it at a ratio of 1.5(Glutaraldehyde):1(distilled water) you end up with a percentage of 1.8% Glutaraldehyde--just over the excel level. This will make your 1 gallon of Metricide turn into 1 2/3 gallon(1.666) gallons of Excel equivalent." - is the ratio in milliliters or what?

8. barbarossa4122

Local Time:
    Hi,

One gallon of Metricide14 makes 1.666 gallons of Excel like solution.

9. Crispino Ramos

Crispino Ramos Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Are you saying, to make an Excel-like solution - a .666 gallon of RO/DI water is added to a gallon of Metricide14?

10. Daniel

Daniel Guest

Local Time:
    Please tell me your not scared of the number 666. Geeez

11. barbarossa4122

Local Time:
    Hi,

This is how I make almost 2L of Excel like solution: Mix 750ml of DI water with 1125ml of Metricide14.