Mosses

BHornsey

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2006
Doncaster, UK
Just a basic question.

I've just put in my first batch of Java Moss on some bogwood and some Monoselenium Tenerum on lava rock. I've held it down with some hair netting and, from what I've read, it should attach itself.

In your experience, how long will this take?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Depends on the growth rates, moss is rapid growing, so can the Mono.......I tend to use moss mixed with Ricca or Mono and it'll out grow the moss and provide a nice attachment.

Maybe 1-2 weeks with good growth, 1 month for slower growth.

Regards,
Tom Barr

BHornsey

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2006
Doncaster, UK
Thanks Tom,

It's a medium growth tank, I think. Is it worth taking off the netting or is better to just leave in place?

Frolicsome_Flora

Guru Class Expert
Jan 12, 2007
Dorset, UK
I seem to have quite a bit of trouble growing java moss, which is odd seeing as its sposed to be so easy, it grows, but extremely slowly. One lot took about 2 months to attach itself to a rock, and 1 month later its still about the same size. Ive tried placing it in various different places with no avail. Id be interested to know why this is.

BHornsey

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2006
Doncaster, UK
This is my first attempt with moss so I have no experience but even after a fortnight I'm noticing some growth; fronds are growing out of the netting.

shega

Junior Poster
Nov 12, 2007
I've a problem with java moss. when i bought it from the store, their color still green. but as soon as they enter my tank about a month, it change color to brown.Is it dead?
but I've read that java moss probably the easiest plant to grow in your tank.
the strange thing is the anubias grow well(about 1 leave in 3-4 weeks)

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
You might try xmas moss, it's very easy and prettier.

I need to send some things to James in the UK, from there he might send it out.

Regards,
Tom Barr