This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Mosses

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by BHornsey, Apr 6, 2007.

1. BHornsey

BHornsey Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Just a basic question.

I've just put in my first batch of Java Moss on some bogwood and some Monoselenium Tenerum on lava rock. I've held it down with some hair netting and, from what I've read, it should attach itself.

In your experience, how long will this take?

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Depends on the growth rates, moss is rapid growing, so can the Mono.......I tend to use moss mixed with Ricca or Mono and it'll out grow the moss and provide a nice attachment.

Maybe 1-2 weeks with good growth, 1 month for slower growth.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. BHornsey

Lifetime Member

Thanks Tom,

It's a medium growth tank, I think. Is it worth taking off the netting or is better to just leave in place?

4. Frolicsome_Flora

Frolicsome_Flora Guru Class Expert

I seem to have quite a bit of trouble growing java moss, which is odd seeing as its sposed to be so easy, it grows, but extremely slowly. One lot took about 2 months to attach itself to a rock, and 1 month later its still about the same size. Ive tried placing it in various different places with no avail. Id be interested to know why this is.

5. BHornsey

Lifetime Member

This is my first attempt with moss so I have no experience but even after a fortnight I'm noticing some growth; fronds are growing out of the netting.

6. Moody

Moody Prolific Poster

Ive found that the more you trim at it, the thicker it gets. Dont be scared, re-tie the stuff you cut off els where.

7. shega

shega Junior Poster

I've a problem with java moss. when i bought it from the store, their color still green. but as soon as they enter my tank about a month, it change color to brown.Is it dead?
    but I've read that java moss probably the easiest plant to grow in your tank.
    the strange thing is the anubias grow well(about 1 leave in 3-4 weeks)

8. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

You might try xmas moss, it's very easy and prettier.

I need to send some things to James in the UK, from there he might send it out.

Regards,
    Tom Barr