Moss Wall Question

Woo

Junior Poster
Jan 27, 2008
Hi Folks,

I am interested in creating a moss wall on the back of my 135 gall. Is any one moss better than another or is it a case of personal choice?

Steve

Crazymidwesterner

Guru Class Expert
Feb 3, 2007
Dixon IL
I can't answer your question but I sure would like to see some pictures if you do this.

I have a large portion of Java moss you can have for free if you choose to use Java Moss. It's about a softball size clump. I do have snails in my tank and I'm sure there are some eggs in it though.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

I think it is more personal choice. I only have experience with Java moss, but I understand that most grow similarly.

I think if it is attached well any type will do fine.

Please also note that if conditions are good, you will have plenty of moss and will soon be giving it away. Keep in mind when initially planting the wall as you won't need that much to start is all I'm saying.........

A little current across it will also help to keep it clean and algae free as it will attract debris. I give mine a shake every now and then or even remove large bunches, rinse, and replant/reattach.....

Good luck and please post a pic when done!

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Xmas moss works really well for walls.

You can use the needle point mat, or glue cork to the back and staple it on the cork etc. Basically any material that's attachable and thin to make a wall.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Paraselenic

Junior Poster
Jun 26, 2008
I think that Java moss is the easiest to grow, but it also depends on what type of animals you have. If you have herbivorous fish, snails, etc, you might want to stick with Java Moss since it has a bad taste and they usually won't eat it.

What are you going to use to secure the moss? I've been looking into making a moss wall myself (48x28 on my 70 gal), but I can't find anything in local stores and only really expensive stuff on ebay (which I have to buy about a dozen of since I have such a large tank). I've been trying to find something on other aquarium suppllies websites, but so far I haven't had any luck.