This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Support us by upgrading to the lifetime advertisement free version.

Click here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Moss forest

Discussion in 'Aquascaping' started by Dennis Singh, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    10:23 PM
    always gotta share, brag, etc......

Here is my latest hardscape on the 60 gallon standard

rock will be removed

pure manzanita, i don't like using rocks, stones, petrified wood

don't like the look of malaysian pieces or african root really, manzy is so versatile

i might do co2 when i get back from vacation, but for now, no co2

just mosses, crypts, erio vietnam, marsilea, buces and possibly staurogyne

very easy growing stuff

wet/dry (gots to go wet/dry) just an awesome filter, love it

t5 lighting

h2o tap

africana sub (aged)

manzy

super glue

cotton thread

fishing line

don't know why i keep posting or sharing....

2. LRJ

LRJ Subscriber

Local Time:
    1:23 AM
    What sort of crypts are you going to have? I could see going with some big crypts in the background behind the wood, maybe a red wendtii off-center to the right, balansae in a corner. Erio vietnam around the bases of the woods, stauro carpet in the foreground with a patch of marsilea to accent. Mosses and buces on the wood. Looking forward to seeing it develop. Hope you decide to use CO2 and let this one reach maturity before tearing down.

3. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    thank you for your advices. I'm doing purely cryptocoryne flamingo. some plants are already in place. I would like to add a list of rare crypts, just don't have the funds to do so.

I get a hook up package from dave lee(foster) tomorrow, involves bali moss and khao sok moss maybe some staurgoynes, we'll see, he always hooks it up pretty darn "phat"

a set up like this is very easy to do and maintain, it all depends on your hardscaping materials, combining different woods together, there are very many pieces which i've collected over time in the system.

Erio vietnam is in the back left corner, staurogyne if i get it will go in the right corner

marsilea hirsuta as the foreground

crypt flamingo's down the center

buce and mosses did go on the driftwoods but i did run out of buces and mosses so some driftwoods are bare as of now, the more plants i can pack into this 60, the nicer it'll look. The wood pieces in place are easily removable and can super glue more on.

What age is maturity for a tank? A year?

haha i always seem to do that, tear down and rescape too early.

4. LRJ

LRJ Subscriber

Local Time:
    1:23 AM
    I'm not exactly sure what maturity is for a tank. Maybe once the plants have had a chance to fill in, and you get to see how close the scape has come to what you had in your mind's eye? As opposed to getting impatient and re-scaping before the idea has had a chance to fully play out (which is a temptation for many of us).

Nice choice with the flamingo. Will be following along.

5. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    Ty and ty, flamingo was the only crypt i have, or have in abundance so...

I also got tiny bits of crypt retrospiralis i put in the back, a crypt florida i forgot where i put it and thats all with the cryptos. Its very tempting yes, especially when you get tired of looking at the same old. Patience is very key to this hobby. People are always changing their aquariums instead of letting them sink into the zone, by adding chems or boosters or just plain messing with water chemistry, (this does not pertain to water changes) that when helped it still won't help cause of the constant change and plant adjustments i believe, not particularly aimed at you, I'm just saying in general, i'm seeing it a lot now..

6. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    before, so you can kind've see how its coming together, i didn't photo step by step so

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    Mosses will take time to adjust and grow, sure they're in the same conditions but now they're super glued so it'll delay the growth a little over if i were to tie them which i would see growth (bright light green tips) within a day or so.

[​IMG]

8. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    I'm disappointed in how this scape turned out, I did not get all the spaces filled with the plants I had, too much gap space

so embarrassing, so here black and white:

I have switched out my wet/dry with another HOB for vacation, this way the sump doesn't have to be filled as much compared to top offs

[img2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"custom","src":"http://i.imgur.com/4WxbL0x.jpg[/img]

9. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    Got 26 sick blue dreams in my tank now

yi4v404.jpg

10. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    awwww, adorable little corydoras (agazzi i believe)

11. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    Last update for now

12. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    You can see the gaps, i can't wait for the mosses to grow, but they're at standstill right now cause of the glue. Downoi, crypts, staurogyne, or best (buces) seem to be good choices to fill in the gaps

[video=youtube_share;fkA4dqOS8aM]

13. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    Full clip:

[video=youtube_share;GDK-AjNcF1g]

14. UDGags

UDGags Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    6:23 AM
    Yeah, I think I would go crypts or buces (or anubias but not on your list). I like the wood on the left a lot but not sure on the right until it fills in more.

15. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    I would love to go with a bunch of anubias problem is i like the white variants too much of the them and those are way too expensive to get a lot of. The right side is too cluttered with woods and not enough plants, i might remove some when i get back, iono. Thank u very much for your input.

16. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    I apologize, tank went to shit when i was away on vacation, and decided to tear it down. A new one with co2 is coming, haven't decided on filter as my wet dry cpr overflow is leaking

or its the tank, i hope not the tank, i've had it for a decade or so, but i know for sure the overflow was leaking.

Its a junk tank for now, but things to come, please bear with me, i'm getting new nice pieces of wood in. I'll make a new thread, yet again...

ZOYEv09.jpg

17. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    Looking back at pictures, i realized how crappy this aquascape was, sorry i will try to do better. Got wood in, getting buces in, trying to pick up more moss, ecetera

yes i think i can do a lot lot better but we'll see....

3H2y7H3.jpg

eqB4aNZ.jpg

THREAD DONE