Moss for a Ram tank?

IndianaSam

Junior Poster
Feb 3, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Okay, I'm starting up a 75g tank for German and Gold Rams (Mikrogeophagus ramerizi) and I want to attach a moss (probably Java moss) to some of the rockwork/caves that will be in the tank. The problem is that I've heard that Java moss doesn't work too well at high temperatures. Since it's a ram tank I wanted to keep it at about 82-84F.

So, is that true? Will it fail to thrive at that temperature? I have some in a couple of tanks that are 76F and it's growing like crazy. If it won't do well at higher temperatures, then is there a moss that will do well?

Thanks,
Sam

PS On a side note, is there anyone who wants to send me some X-mas moss to mess around with? I'll happily pay for shipping for some of your clippings :)

aquabillpers

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Re: Moss for a Ram tank?

I've bred F2 wild stock rams on several occasions at 80 without any problem.

Soft water (3 DH) and/or low pH (mid 6's) are important.

Bill

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

Seems to do quite well at 90F in thr STeinhart aquarium and in my tanks here in Sac, it gets 100F+ daily. It's cooled off, but temps in the 85 or less range work well.

Regards,
Tom Barr

IndianaSam

Junior Poster
Feb 3, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA

Tom Barr said:
Seems to do quite well at 90F in thr STeinhart aquarium and in my tanks here in Sac, it gets 100F+ daily. It's cooled off, but temps in the 85 or less range work well.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Thanks Tom! That was the answer for which I was looking (and from you, I'm inclined to believe it).

Now to my second point: Anyone have some Xmas moss that they want to send me? :)

aquabillpers

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005

IndianaSam said:
Yeah, but what about the Java Moss? That's really what I'm concerned about ;)

Sorry, I just assumed that you knew that Java Moss was good to go at 80 degrees, and that you didn't have to raise the temp to 84 to breed the rams.

IndianaSam

Junior Poster
Feb 3, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA

aquabillpers said:
Sorry, I just assumed that you knew that Java Moss was good to go at 80 degrees, and that you didn't have to raise the temp to 84 to breed the rams.

Oh, now I get it. Sorry I misinterpreted what you were saying.

Sam