This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Moss for a Ram tank?

Discussion in 'Off Topic and Chat' started by IndianaSam, Sep 12, 2005.

1. IndianaSam

IndianaSam Junior Poster

Okay, I'm starting up a 75g tank for German and Gold Rams (Mikrogeophagus ramerizi) and I want to attach a moss (probably Java moss) to some of the rockwork/caves that will be in the tank. The problem is that I've heard that Java moss doesn't work too well at high temperatures. Since it's a ram tank I wanted to keep it at about 82-84F.

So, is that true? Will it fail to thrive at that temperature? I have some in a couple of tanks that are 76F and it's growing like crazy. If it won't do well at higher temperatures, then is there a moss that will do well?

Thanks,
    Sam

PS On a side note, is there anyone who wants to send me some X-mas moss to mess around with? I'll happily pay for shipping for some of your clippings :)

2. aquabillpers

aquabillpers Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Re: Moss for a Ram tank?

I've bred F2 wild stock rams on several occasions at 80 without any problem.

Soft water (3 DH) and/or low pH (mid 6's) are important.

Bill

3. IndianaSam

IndianaSam Junior Poster

Yeah, but what about the Java Moss? That's really what I'm concerned about ;)

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Seems to do quite well at 90F in thr STeinhart aquarium and in my tanks here in Sac, it gets 100F+ daily. It's cooled off, but temps in the 85 or less range work well.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

5. IndianaSam

IndianaSam Junior Poster

Thanks Tom! That was the answer for which I was looking (and from you, I'm inclined to believe it).

Now to my second point: Anyone have some Xmas moss that they want to send me? :)

6. aquabillpers

aquabillpers Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Sorry, I just assumed that you knew that Java Moss was good to go at 80 degrees, and that you didn't have to raise the temp to 84 to breed the rams.

7. IndianaSam

IndianaSam Junior Poster

Oh, now I get it. Sorry I misinterpreted what you were saying.

Sam