Dustin Feagley

Dec 5, 2017
Destrehan, La
I was wondering, should I count moonlight into my photoperiod time?
Reducing my photoperiod from 12 hours to 10 hours helped rid some algae, but I'm still getting some hard green algae on the glass by the end of the week. Probably going to try 8 hours, but I don't want to lose viewing time. Can I leave on moonlight or lowest light setting for a couple hours after photoperiod? I do not want to try split photoperiod.

55g heavily planted, injected co2, ei dosing, metricide 14, fluval freshwater and plants 2.0 LED

Christophe

Subscriber
Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2013
Albuquerque, NM, USA
Start your photoperiod later in the day, so that your 7 or 8 hour photoperiod ends when you're ready. As long as you don't have too much bright ambient light in the room, it shouldn't be a problem. There's pretty much no need for a photoperiod longer than 8 hours -- it's an invitation to algae.

Count the 'moonlight' time as photoperiod only if it's bright enough to grow plants (or algae).

Phishless

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 13, 2017
Arnold, MD
I run a 6.5 hour photoperiod.
20 minute ramp up and 20 minute ramp down.
Grand total 7 hours 10 minutes.

The rest of it is lunar cycle.
Peak setting during full moon is set low enough that plants still stay "closed up".

Reactions: Dustin Feagley
Nov 9, 2017
Netherlands
Tḧats what i asked myself too, I have sunrise and moonlight period but my plants open before the sunset begins and closes about an half hour before the photo period stops.. I have some daylight coming in the house but the tank is located on one of the darkest places in the living room.

Phishless

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 13, 2017
Arnold, MD
Through the month moon light changes based on one's time zone.
Moonlight is brighter on full moon and darkest on new moon.
Do the plants benefit???
Doesn't create any algae for me.

StormX controller runs all my LED's on all tanks.
There is some degree of light throughout the entire night.
Not measurable with PAR meter most of the time.

Full moon might be 1 or 2 PAR
I thought of checking but plants are closed up even during full moon.

Reactions: Dustin Feagley