This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Monte Carlo Possible In This Tank?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Dd1880, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Dd1880

Dd1880 New Member

Local Time:
    1:35 AM
    Anyone know if it would be possible to grow a carpet of Monte Carlo in my 29 gallon no co2 tank? I dose Nilocg thrive for my rrf, java fern and Anubis. I have a Chihiros rgb 60 set at 50% now and am slowly raising to get the rrf red. Was just wondering if it was realistic to grow MC since I saw some at my lfs the other day. I only have gravel also. Thanks for any help.

0F000096-152C-44ED-A925-428BAF596581.jpeg

8DFAEEA2-B371-46FB-9AFE-7349C204ACB4.jpeg

3848D683-68BB-4737-A5DC-E0806425B711.jpeg

BDB45F18-80EF-42AD-8A3C-ED36AE236C69.jpeg

B68570BB-2A81-4340-B883-13C631F4E342.jpeg

0BD60FD1-039B-4510-89AC-64B910116B49.jpeg

2. TDot

TDot New Member

Local Time:
    2:35 AM
    I don't think so. You could dose with excel but honestly without CO2 carpets are tough.

3. Dd1880

Dd1880 New Member

Local Time:
    Ok thanks! How about if when I break this tank down and dirt it with a sand cap? I would probably not do red root floaters again. If I did put them in again it would only be 1/4 of the tank instead of 3/4. Thanks for any help.

4. Suneel

Suneel New Member

Local Time:
    I have monte carlo in my 7.9 tank, and based on my experience, it will carpet but without c02 it will be really slow. When you purchase the bunch, break it up into different clusters so its more spread out in the tank so each grow independently. Also, best bet would be to replant the shoots that break off into the tank so you start more plants. I cant tell how deep your substrate is based on the picture, but i would recommend an inch or more for their roots. To make it go faster, you could try excel, but use it cautiously and do your research, look at all your plants after dosing since it does kill/weaken mosses and other types of plants aswell.

Dd1880 likes this.
  5. Dd1880

Dd1880 New Member

Local Time:
    Ok thanks for the info! As long as it grows and looks healthy I don’t care how fast it grows! I will probably wait till I move and break the tank down any way! Then I was thinking of using dirt with a cap. I would get AS but don’t know if I want to shell out that much money just for substrate since I want to scape it. In your tank without co2 how long did it take to look like a carpet? Also what light are you using and how bright is it set? Thanks!

6. Suneel

Suneel New Member

Local Time:
    The tank is 3 months old, i added c02 around 3-4 weeks ago and i still don't have a full carpet, but i notice that growth has definitely increased. I a chihiros RGB 45 light on it at 70%

Dd1880 likes this.
  7. Dd1880

Dd1880 New Member

Local Time:
    Thanks! I have the Chihiros rgb 60. Love the light. The commander 1 works very well also. Very consistent when setting sunset/sunrise function. I have mine set at 55% right now. Slowly raising it trying to get my red root floaters red or at least the roots haha. Good to know my light is strong enough to carpet Monte Carlo. Was it carpeting at all without the co2? I appreciate the replies because I haven’t come across anyone on the forums that had the rgb like me!

8. Suneel

Suneel New Member

Local Time:
    No problem, feel free to ask away and message me any time, I'm also learning, so I'm sure there's stuff that you experienced that i may benefit from aswell and we could turn this into a mutual/symbiotic learning experience haha.

The plant was growing and letting out mini stems that i would always have to replant across the tank, they are easy to find because they float to the top of the water but are annoying because they could get stuck in your moss as the flow pushes them around. The leaves were also smaller without c02. As a side note, im only dosing between 12-15ppm C02 at any given time since i have shrimp in the tank and im trying to find the perfect balance of plants to shrimp breeding. Im pretty sure my stem plants are taking up a majority of the c02, so i dont know how much the monte carlo is actually getting, so it could very well be that the plant grows much better after like a month in the new tank even without c02. I've gotten a lot more mini stems recently.

Long answer to your short question XD

Dd1880 likes this.
  9. Dd1880

Dd1880 New Member

Local Time:
    Haha yeah thanks. I was thinking about dirting the tank and using a sand cap! Haven’t made up my mind yet. Might just get a aquasoil and pay the $! Either way don’t think I’ll be dosing co2 anytime soon. I’ve been reading up on the walsted method and Tom Barr’s non co2 method! Might give it a whirl either way good to know the Chihiros rgb is strong enough to carpet Monte Carlo! I didn’t know that’s how it propigated. I thought it sent out side shoots and kinda crawled across the substrate. Not letting floating stems off haha. Thank you for the info cause it’s giving me hope of doing a scape that I have in my head using Monte Carlo!

10. Suneel

Suneel New Member

Local Time:
    Id say it does both, lets stems off and grows side ways.

Dd1880 likes this.
  11. Dd1880

Dd1880 New Member

Local Time:
    Cool didn’t know. Thanks. I just can’t wait to try the dirt method and actual try and scape the tank!

Tags: