This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Monte Carlo Melting, Turning White - Advice Appreciated

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Fertilization' started by oleg3434, May 12, 2020.

1. oleg3434

oleg3434 New Member

Local Time:
    8:54 AM
    hello. I would really appreciate some help in diagnosing what issue is causing my Monte Carlo carpet to turn white and melt. My tank is approximately 2 months old. initially started as a dry start with tissue culture from bruce plant which weren't that great, then added potted from aquarium plants.com that were much better. dry start was about 6 weeks. then I flooded. the first three-four weeks were great and the carpet grew out almost completely. the tank finished cycling and ammonia was at 0. then suddenly the plants started turning white and melting within a matter of days. I thought it was due to low calcium and fluctuating co2 levels. due to the melt I had a huge algae issue which I resolved with excel. I dosed excel about two weeks ago. I was doing water changes every other day during excel dosing and now doing them twice a week. my carpet is finally growing back but today again I noticed some of the new growth turning white! This happens very fast in a matter of one day. I don't know what's going on at this point.

here are my tank parameters

Amazonia version II

60 gallon tank running on two oase bombaster 600 thermo

one has a uv sterilizer and the other co2 diffuser and reactor

I have twin star light set at 75% for 6.5 hours a day - afraid to go longer at this point due to dead plant material still dissolving from the initial melt and algae

co2 is yellow - this is accurate, used two different solutions and using kh and ph chart it all correlates - I have only a betta fish and he doesn't mind the high co2 level

I'm using green leaf aquarium ferts for EI dosing using the rotala butterfly calculator. I mix them in 500ml gla bottles.

also using green leaf GH booster

I have some crushed coral in the filter to raise the PH a little bit for when I'm ready to add fish.

I double dosed on the micro nutrients and the white spread seems to have stopped today.

GH 9

KH 5

Ph 6.4

Co2 38-60 no fish

Ammonia 0.25

Nitrites 0.25

Nitrates 40

please let me know your thoughts. much appreciated

monte carlo white.jpg

my aquarium.jpg

2. Allwissend

Allwissend Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    2:54 PM
    I would suggest that the ammonia is still leaching from the Amazonia. A cycled tank should deal with a few plants melting off, but it’s probably also dealing with the soil. The melting, once it starts in a leaf can spread to a new leaf or plant by direct contact. Probably a reaction to the decaying leaf nearby (either local conditions or abundant decomposing bacteria).
    So try whenever possible to remove the leaves that start completely melting. With a carpeting plant obviously you can’t go individually but you can take a turkey baster and gently push pull water over the surface to detach damaged material. Also looks like it’s time for a surface vacuum cleaning. Keep up the twice a week water changes.
    I would also reduce the light intensity to 50%. Turn off the UV, it messes with iron chelation.
    My preference is to also remove that crushed coral from the filter, at least for the time being. You already have a KH of 5, no need for more buffering. You are adding lots of CO2 which create acidic conditions so you end up dissolving a lot more coral than in a normal fish tank.
    Also aquasoil soaks up a lot of PO4 at first. I usually dose 0.5mg/L PO4 daily when starting out and still run out …tested it once and it took up 5mg/L PO4 overnight :)