This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Monte Carlo Carpet Decline

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Jimtemp, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Jimtemp

Jimtemp New Member

Local Time:
    10:35 PM
    I have a 50 gal. hi-tech planted aquarium. Recently I've noticed my Monte Carlo carpet is really fading, looking poor, with areas loosing color and detaching into the water. My other (stem) plants also don't look as well as they have in the past either. Algae is starting to grow on the leaves (see pics).

Some history: 3 weeks ago I had an outbreak of ich. I treated the tank with Copper Power Green (chelated copper sulfate). I lost the three fish that had it, (one I never was able to find and remove!), but the rest survived. I've done two 15 gal. regular weekly water changes since then. I think I also lost 2 Amano shrimp and I've noticed many of the tiny snails that were around have either died or their shell turned white.(although I know copper is not safe for inverts). I dose Seachem ferts each twice a week, Flourish Comprehensive as well as N P K and Trace. I dose Seachem Iron once a week, and 2 weeks ago I switched from Excel to Metricide 14. I have 2 Kessil Tuna Suns and use a ph controller to inject pressurized co2 for 7 hours a day (only while lights are on). I did a major trim job last week as the plants were overgrowing the tank, and reducing circulation. I cleaned my Eheim 2217 of any algae and waste ( I also run a Tidal HOB in which I replace filter floss weekly). Yesterday I got a nitrate reading of 20-30 ppm (Seachem test). I usually get 0 ppm. Fish are doing fine, but otherwise something is out of balance. Is it a fert deficiency? Did I have an ammonia spike? Did the Copper screw up the water chemistry? Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TankPic1.jpg TankPic2.jpg

2. rajkm

rajkm Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    3:35 AM
    Usually after medication running carbon is recommended.
    Big water changes 2x a week is what I will start with.

When in doubt, clean plants and trim them, remove dead leafs and critters, large water changes to reset and starting back on routine is what I alway recommend.

3. Jimtemp

Jimtemp New Member

Local Time:
    10:35 PM
    Thanks. I did about a 50% change today, and I put the Purigen back in last week. I hope the Monte Carlo can come back, but it’s looking pretty sad. When I disturb the carpet at all the fading sprigs and leaves just break off into the water stream. The bigger stem plants have yellow/white new growth with veining-, and are cupping a little at the tips of the leaves - that would seem like a nutrient, fert deficiency. Iron, cal/mag? Hard to know.