This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Mixing FeEDTA and FeDTPA

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Fertilization' started by GR1KTR, Aug 10, 2016.

1. GR1KTR

GR1KTR Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    4:23 AM
    Hi All,

I have some Iron EDTA 13% and will be buying some Iron DTPA 11%. I want to mix the chelates to improve Fe availability to plants.

I'm concious that FeDTPA can stain water so a 50/50 mix may not work. What ratio mixture would you recommend with this in mind?

2. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    10:23 PM
    I believe it is eddha that is really bad about staining water. Dont think you will have a problem using dtpa in any reasonable amount. I never have

3. tbolls

tbolls Junior Poster

Local Time:
    G'day GR1, Gees the people you bump into on forums, nice to see a familiar username. Can't help you with your problem though, sadly.

4. GR1KTR

GR1KTR Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks burr, much appreciated. Should I abandon the EDTA all together and just switch to 100% DTPA? Are there any advantages to including some EDTA?

G'day Bolsy! I had a hunch you'd hang around here, given you enjoy exploring things in more detail. I haven't posted here for a while. I mainly read here and allow the experts to discuss things. Great place to ask questions on more advanced topics.

5. tbolls

tbolls Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Yeah mate, come to this forum when I need to learn about aquarium plants

6. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    50/50 is fine. DTPA is said to be more stable and will hang around much longer, so I use very small doses of it, compared to, say, gluconate. If staining is a concern, reduce DTPA to 25%. Frankly, if I had EDTA, I'd just stick with it and dose it twice a week as opposed to dosing DTPA once a week.

7. Julia Adkins

Julia Adkins aquariumfertilizer.com
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Personally I like the newer ferrous gluconate we carry for its texture and solubility. And it does not discolor the tank water. Otherwise, why mix the two iron compounds. Just use up the last of your EDTA and then move on to the DTPA. Or buy some of our ferrous gluconate. Why confuse the issue?