mist or reactor

distrbd

Junior Poster
May 22, 2006
Hi all.
This is an update.It's been 2-3 weeks that I removed the co2 external reactor and replaced it with a co2 mist system through a Rio 600 RVT powerhead.
well so far so good.I was worried a Little about having an algae outbreak due to lack of enough co2 but it seems I have the level right on since there is no algae period.

The Rio pump is doing a very good job of braking the co2 in to micro bubbles and the 2 other pumps distribute these bubbles all over the tank.
I was also worried abut the lack of dissolved co2,still am, but refuse to do a set up for it unless some one could convince me that the plants need it.
In the last 3 weeks I have been watching the plant growth with no dissolved co2 and I have not seen any reason to have it.Maybe someone could explain why I must have dissolved co2 in any tank?so far I like the co2 mist so much ,I set up another tank(90gal.) with it,so this I would say for sure has been an upgrade to a DIY external reactor.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Well, this tank has only reactors, so I can do either way well.

Took a bit more tweaking though.....

Regards,
Tom Barr

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
When you use the mist system you still have dissolved CO2 in the water. CO2 dissolves easily into water, and comes out of solution easy too. So, you can't have a zero dissolved CO2 tank if you use mist. You just aren't likely to have the 30+ ppm of dissolved CO2 that you can get with an inline reactor or the venturi reactor.

distrbd

Junior Poster
May 22, 2006
VaughnH;12205 said:
When you use the mist system you still have dissolved CO2 in the water. CO2 dissolves easily into water, and comes out of solution easy too. So, you can't have a zero dissolved CO2 tank if you use mist. You just aren't likely to have the 30+ ppm of dissolved CO2 that you can get with an inline reactor or the venturi reactor.

I agree but my point is to set up a reactor that is meant/designed to dissolve co2 .
I have not measured the co2 level but I will ,I must be very close to 30 PPM but will verify tomorrow.
Thanks for your reply hoppy.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Well it helps if I post the tank:

90 gal tank.jpg

resized3501106.jpg

Professor Myers

Guru Class Expert
Aug 24, 2006
Edit/Update 7/06/07

Professor Myers;11649 said:
I ran the sytem with an advanced venturi injector, and needle wheel pump for 1 week. Water was dispersed evenly using a Sea Swirl wave generator (Awkward looking but the greatest thing since sliced bread when it comes to plants) !!! :D

I was burning through Co2 at warp speed, and Dissolved levels of Co2 actually dropped 5 to 10 ppm. Plant growth WAS lovely with well balanced growth, and extraordinary color, and texture. BUT !!! The actual mass of growth was unspectacular, and the misting in the tank was IMHO excessive detracting from the display. I have accomplished as much with 100% dissolved Co2. Perhaps not quite as nice, but too close to really appreciate the difference, and expense. One thing I did note was a conspicuous clarity and lower tannins, but this was likely due to degassing, and skimming ?

I am discontinueing the experiment, and will now attempt an even distribution of Both dissolved Co2, and Misting for another week or two.

Finally got the bugs worked out of my Co2 venturi injector. This thing is hotter'na three peckered owl ! :p Yippee !!!