This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mist - how much is enough?

Discussion in 'Talk to Tom Barr' started by Gerryd, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Hi Tom,

As mentioned in another thread, I am having great success (this minute anyway lol) with Mazzei mist.

As stated ALL plants, stem, rosette, ground, mosses are brilliant with pearling from every leaf.

I noticed that my cards were a little off later in the day, so am still adjusting the bubble rate downward. More surface ripple helped fix it...

However still not all is well.....

I have some algae on my Alternanthera Reinecki but I think it may be because it is on the end that gets the LEAST light. I would say average 60 micro moles or less in that area. It is about 3 weeks old and is getting taller, but growth is not as good as any other plant....stargrass and diandra immediately next to it has great growth, tremendous pearling, and about the same levels of light, maybe a bit higher, but very little pearling from the A. reinecki.

I am thinking either this plant needs relocation or that c02 is still not enough for this plant, even though all others 'appear' via pearling to have enough?

I also notice my Myrio tuber is growing and algae free and pearls like mad, but the color remains either green combined with a rust. Again about 3 weeks old. Getting at least 100 mmoles and again heavy head to toe with pearling.

Same for my rotala macrandra narrow. Covered all over with pearls and getting > 100 mmoles, but not much growth. Seems to sit there. Better than it was, but nothing to write home about..........algae free though.

A little bit of algae on c. wendti but these are getting >100 micro moles so this could be getting too much light. It wipes off and is green/brown in color. All crypt leaves however are covered underneath with pearling.

L. Aromotica from top to bottom is silly with pearls and algae free and very nice. Growth is great with all other plants. P stellata, L aromatica, bacopa (2 species), etc all doing well.

Question:

Is this too much that I am driving too much growth? Rotala indica has grown 3-4 inches over the last week, but other species have slowed with the height increase (thank goodness).

What level of pearling is a good benchmark? I don't want to go too low and induce algae but don't need to drive the plant are high speed all the time either.

My drop checker was dropped to the floor by the cats playing behind my back so I can't use that to help check. New ones coming soon I hope.......

I don't want to assume that all is okay just because I have crazy pearling...

The stems not doing well and the bit of crypt algae indicates something may be off....

Could my dosing be low with the abundant c02 driving higher plant growth despite the lower light levels?

Doing 2 tsp of K and 1.5 tsp of P daily. 20 ml of TMG daily with 75% weekly wc. 1.5 tsp of gh booster at wc time. Prime at wc.

Light per PAR ranges from 20-50 at substrate and in shade to 100-150 at the surface...........

180 gallon tank.

Appreciate any thoughts.

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

I consider it a low light plant for the most part.
    But I've seen it in other tanks, but with low light in the middle etc.

I use it in the backgrounds, understory etc..........even non CO2......

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Hi Tom,

Sorry it got lost in the detail, but my main question is:

Can I still be short on c02 if all plants (but the alteranthera) are pearling like mad from top to bottom?

Can it be not enough despite the massive pearling?

I have a bit of brown diatom on the gravel (which I have not had for awhile) and some GSA here and there.

98% of the plants are growing well and algae free.

I want to ensure I don't mistake heavy pearling for 'no shortage of c02' and assume that all is okay..........

or that 'heavy pearling=sufficient c02 levels'.

I have had plenty of bad assumptions before and this one could be costly...........

Thanks.