This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Miscommunication in Dosing Calculators?

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Fertilization' started by Christophe, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    12:44 PM
    In the wake of the recent interest in micronutrients, and the possible overdosing of them, I’ve noticed something in the conversation:

If you go to any of the common on-line fert calculators and look for the basic suggested EI dose, you get this:

"To reach your target of 0.5ppm Fe you will need to add 2.35 grams Plantex CSM+B to your 307L aquarium to yield:

[TABLE=cellpadding: 0, cellspacing: 0]

[TR]

[TD] Element

[/TD]

[TD] ppm/degree

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Fe

[/TD]

[TD] 0.5

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Mn

[/TD]

[TD] 0.143

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Cu

[/TD]

[TD] 0.007

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Mg

[/TD]

[TD] 0.107

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Zn

[/TD]

[TD] 0.028

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Mo

[/TD]

[TD] 0.004

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] B

[/TD]

[TD] 0.061

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] dGH

[/TD]

[TD] 0.025

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Dose these levels 2-4 times a week for EI. Classic EI depends on good CO2, good circulation, and regular water changes."

There seems to be a disconnect here — the dosing is drastically different between these two plans. Was there a miscommunication with Wet or Zorfox, or whoever did the original dose calculator? Did they run off with the wrong value, and everyone else followed suit except those who really knew what they were doing?

As an uninitiated noob, I started up working from the calculators, figuring that I wouldn’t end up far astray. Chronically dosing a blend of CSM+B and Fe-DPTA to 1.6ppm-2ppm Fe per week got me to a totally stalled tank in about 6 months. The only thing that got it unstuck was a drastic reduction in Fe/micros. As I work through the problem, I’m getting back to where Tom’s quote above is about the right level, 0.6ppm or so Fe per week, from a blend of CSM+B, Fe-DPTA, and Fe-Gluconate.

Thoughts? Discuss...

2. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Christophe - I was dosing 0.5 ppm (Fe from CSM+B) six times a week at one point. Some plants like Blyxa were fine. Many were very unhappy. I concluded that was trace overkill.

I titrated down over a year or two from 3 ppm per week down to 0.6 ppm per week, spread out over 2 or 3 doses per week. My tank is pretty happy, growing, and algae-free at this level. This goes along with Tom's second quote from above.

I am currently at 0.3 ppm per week and I suspect that it is too low. I will probably go back up to 0.6 ppm per week.

3. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    6:44 AM
    Couple years ago I jumped right in to EI dosing .5 csmb and a dash of dtpa for good measure, 3x week. The results were catastrophic, and it took many months to realize what the problem was. Still figuring it out tbh, but in general things do fairly well around .3 - .4 from traces, and another .1 or .2 Fe per week....or thereabouts.

Do you think it is too low on Fe or micros in general?

4. fablau

fablau rotalabutterfly.com
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    4:44 AM
    I used to dose 0.4ppm Fe from CSM+B per dose every other day with WC every two weeks, and plants were doing good until I got stalled and began having BBA, etc... Then I tried the detox 3-4 months ago, and worked great at the beginning, but then was disastrous, and kept being bad until I got back to 0.4ppm Fe from CSM+B as before but now I am trying to perform WC every week.

I have explained in detail my story here below, but I guess if you have hard water you may need to dose more traces:

http://www.barrreport.com/forum/barr-report/aquatic-plant-fertilization/233214-need-a-little-help-dialing-in?p=235040#post235040

I will keep dosing this way until I see my tank stabilized, or unless I see any adverse effects, but so far so good. Then I will try to reduce a little step-by-step... But as you see, my dosing of 0.4ppm Fe per dose every other day is not that far from what the calculator suggest dosing!

5. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    What I'm wondering is how the calculators came to recommend a dosing range that even Tom, the biggest proponent of EI, doesn't use. Why isn't the base recommendation 0.5ppm Fe PER WEEK? Where did 1-2ppm per week come from?

6. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    burr - I don't know that yet. Since the tank did so well at 0.6 ppm per week, I'm guessing that's my tank's sweet spot. At 0.3 ppm per week, I suspect I will run out of some traces sooner or later. Probably not iron. We'll see. I did myself a huge favor by lowering lights by a third before going to 0.3 ppm. So demand is lower too.

7. SwampGremlin

SwampGremlin Member

Local Time:
    I need to look into this more myself i only dose iron on the day after water change day only with csmb .... But everything seems to be doing great maybe it could be doing better. But there is so many variables in my head like substrate strength dirtyness of the tank substrate...plant mass ect

.Maybe the bottom portions of my pantanal you be fuller it indose more iron who knows maybe ill increase me doses and see what it does.

Right now im using flourish iron i have left over from awhile ago and i do the reccomended dosage once a week

#7 SwampGremlin, Mar 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2016