Minor disaster: Any ideas?

andye

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2007
Hi Everyone,

I have a 210 gallon lightly planted (for the time being) tank, low light no CO2 with discus and tetras. Wet-dry filtraion. 12 dis were originally spawning regularly with 3 different pairs.

About 6 weeks ago, after a water change 2 discus died the next day and no one looked happy. Plants-- mainly java fern looked burned. Long story, short I live in an NYC apartment, and the day before I did a water change they cleaned the water tower on top of the building.

I had no idea. I have lost 3 more discus. There are tiny flecks of metal on the rocks and some plants. The fish now seem back to normal but not spawning and not in full coloration. These are Stendker discus. I have used various heavy metal purifiers (polyfilter, etc), change water 3-4 times per week, and try my best to blow the rocks and plants with a powerhead to get the metal flecks cleared out.

I have not tested the water for iron. Looked for an iron test kit at LFS but to no avail. Any other suggestions? I would hate to do a tear down. Things are turning for the better.

No shrimp as of yet in this tank. I will add more plants, co2 and a moss wall soon.

Thanks,

Andy