This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Minimum lumen per liters

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Rhapsody, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Rhapsody

Rhapsody Junior Poster

Local Time:
    9:14 PM
    I know that the minumun may be the better against algae if you more or less know what you are doing. So i have two low energy consumption bulbs and they add 40 lumen per liter in total. I want red plants (as rotala macandra) and HC or montecarlo, maybe didplis diandra.

as Tropica recommends mínimum 40 lumen per liter, so would i be ok with 2 bulbs or do you recommend something better?.

i have all the setup correct, my doubt is because i need to know if it is necessary or not, as according with Tropica text i am ok, at least with the minimum. Better light means better growth?.

BTW a friend told me that white led lamps have a PAR that sucks, all of them, is it that bad that the PAR literally "sucks"?. I ask as i see nice planted tanks with white led light. And i dont think all lamps have the same white light (therefore not the same PAR). How bad is the situation for white led lamps?.

thanks.

#1 Rhapsody, Nov 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2016
  2. Rhapsody

Rhapsody Junior Poster

Local Time:
    9:14 PM
    Ok, more info, This is the light I am using (see link), 32 watts, 2 of them, 2140 lumen per light. More or less 40 lumen in the tank (90+ liters approx.).

Do you think this is enough for optimal growth and color for red and hard plants?. Would I get a real benefit if I improve the light?. I think the plants may growth OK, but wonder if it really add something practical to improve this light.

On the other hand, the setence that "PAR for led lamps suck", I think for the led the PAR may be not the best one available (talking about white light only), but the sum up of the construction may affect the PAR dramatically. Is this correct?. To me it is hard to think that the PAR of a good white led sucks just because it is LED, as I see setup where the plants growth amazingly with such lamps, which mean they are receiving a good PAR. I think the PAR could be improved if you improve the setup in the lamp construction, and there are variables that affects, but I am not expert here, nor I cannot measure anything.

https://www.imageupload.co.uk/images.../ampolleta.png

Thanks

#2 Rhapsody, Nov 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2016
  3. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    1:14 PM
    first off what is the height of your tank?

PAR led lamps do not suck, sucky is the wrong term, you just have to add less or more.

I know its 23 gallons....

4. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    1:14 PM
  5. Kyalgae

Kyalgae Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    4:14 PM
    I don't think all white LEDs have crappy par. If you check out this link you can see the par varies, according to the manufacturer, depending on the type of LED used in the fixture. I have the older fixture with 35 par and I also bought the newer one with 100 par, the newer one does seem to penetrate better. Granted I don't have a par meter, so I can't say for sure.

http://current-usa.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Satellite-Comparison-V3.pdf

#5 Kyalgae, Dec 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2016
  6. Kyalgae

Kyalgae Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    4:14 PM
    I don't think all white LEDs have crappy par. If you check out this link you can see the par varies, according to the manufacturer, depending on the type of LED used in the fixture. I have the older fixture with 35 par and I also bought the newer one with 100 par, the newer one does seem to penetrate better. Granted I don't have a par meter, so I can't say for sure.

http://current-usa.com/wp-content/up...parison-V3.pdf