Mikes mix

Mike k

Jul 23, 2017
Oklahoma
I decided a while back to follow good advice and move to EI. I am getting the best growth I have seen. I see some twisted leaves and color is not as good as yours. I am ready for more good advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Oursaunougat

Oursaunougat

Nov 11, 2017
france
I decided a while back to follow good advice and move to EI. I am getting the best growth I have seen. I see some twisted leaves and color is not as good as yours. I am ready for more good advice

I have also some twisted on hygrophilia polysperma , the leaves on the top only, i don t know what does that mean

Reactions: Mike k

Mike k

Jul 23, 2017
Oklahoma
Good morning all,

I have a couple of questions. First, still dosing ei and co2 is dropping a full point before lights come on. I have several plants showing hooked tips. I have seen that as calcium deficiency. Can I use caco3 to try to figure this out? Second question, I am getting a little green algae on my glass and am wondering about pushing a little extra po4. Does that make sense?

I can post pictures if needed.

Phishless

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 13, 2017
Arnold, MD
CaCO3 will also elevate your KH.
CaSO4(gypsum) would only affect GH, available @ home brewing stores.

What are your PO4 levels now?

Phishless

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 13, 2017
Arnold, MD
Would think 4ppm of PO4 would keep GSA in check.
Many have been known to run PO4 much higher.

I try very hard to maintain 2ppm of PO4.
This is keeping the glass clean and plants free of GSA.

Mike k

Jul 23, 2017
Oklahoma
I know I have to do a better job of trimming and cleaning. Maybe that is part of my issue.

Kyalgae

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2016
Canada
Good morning all,

I have a couple of questions. First, still dosing ei and co2 is dropping a full point before lights come on. I have several plants showing hooked tips. I have seen that as calcium deficiency. Can I use caco3 to try to figure this out? Second question, I am getting a little green algae on my glass and am wondering about pushing a little extra po4. Does that make sense?

I can post pictures if needed.

The really odd thing I found with my tank is that the algae that used to show up on my glass has been gone for about three weeks now, but maybe its not because of my dosing. So now I’m running less ferts in general, and I’m doing a water change every two weeks, instead of one. I don’t have super fast growers in my tank anyways. I am in no way saying macro fertilizers did this. I did step away from the CSM B and I went back to the bottles of flourish comprehensive, and flourish trace that I had. I wondered if it was hurting my shrimp...probably not. Is it just the CO2 that I have locked in right now that is doing it? As soon as my AR mini and S. Repens became clear of all algae on their leaves, the algae on the glass never came back. Why? I can’t say. I wondered if I hit a plant mass target that keeps the algae down? I wish I had a definite answer, that’s what I always wanted when I struggled. I think it has more to do with an overall approach than just say, adjusting dosing.

I will say that leading up to where I am now I was very religious with the cleaning of the whole tank/tubing and trimming. I would toothbrush every bit of equipment in the tank every water change.