This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Micro Swords - Lilaeopsis novazelandiae

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by vidiots, Mar 25, 2007.

1. vidiots

vidiots Prolific Poster

I've been trying to carpet the forground on my display tank with micro swords for about 8 months. Although they are growing and there are always new runners, it's just not carpeting the tank.

The problem Im having is keeping it in the substrate and out of my filter. For substrate I have 100% flourite and am wondering if this is where I went wrong.

The runners tend to grow across the top of the substrate instead of in it. The roots don't grow very long and don't go very deep into the substrate to anchor it. Eventually they come loose and float away. They seem to be growing at about the rate I'm loosing them so I still have about the same amount i started with 8 months ago.

Are there any tricks or suggestions for planting these better?

2. jason311

jason311 Junior Poster

I have the same plants but my substrate is sand,they seem to do ok in it.I have heard of people using plant weights to hold them down.Hope that helps.

3. vidiots

vidiots Prolific Poster

Maybe I test using some sand in a little 2.5 gal tank I just emptied and see if i can get it to grow better in that.

4. RlxdN10sity

RlxdN10sity Prolific Poster

I have about 90% coverage in my 55gallon with microswords. I use 100% fluorite substrate. I started out with just 4 or 5 clumps and stuck them into substrate about 1/3 to 1/2 of length and they have grown in over time. Do you have fish pulling them up? Occasionally I get a runner that floats and I just cut it off so it does not pull on the rest of the plants it is connected to.

5. Crazy Loaches

Crazy Loaches Guru Class Expert

How long has everyones fluorite been in the tank? My 100% fluorite tank thats been up for 2 years seems that the fluorite has very inconsistent size and most all the little peices end up at the bottom and the top is all large chunky pieces.