Micro nutrients- Toxicity - Over dose

Vijay Saradhi

Oct 1, 2021
India
Hi,

I want to know about this term toxicity. I know this is mainly under micro over dose.. but is this something that happens over time or per dose? Any signs to watch out for this issue?

Allwissend

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2016
www.intuitiveaqua.net
man, this takes me back about a decade or so. Basically there was a group of people who discovered that making people afraid of an unknown, largely unmeasurable enemy makes them look interesting. Everything that was wrong was due to a micronutrient toxicity. They were never able to produce controlled data to back-up their claims, just random biased observations. Basically a non-issue, skip over and use the time to trim and clean your tank.

Anything can be toxic if at high enough concentrations. Ammonia is likely the first one aquarists hear of and yes, at high enough concentrations ammonia can even be toxic to plants. Copper is another one many people are familiar with, invertebrates being very sensitive to it but some Cu based medications go high enough to damage plants. This is often times many 10x or 100x more than would be dosed using the recommendations of EI.

Effect depends on the dose and the plants. Sometimes only less growth will be observed but can also go as far as necrotic spots or complete melting of the plant. These 'symptoms' can also come from something else and most often are not from toxicity but deficiency or other improper conditions.

googoos

Jun 28, 2022
Earth
Hi, guys!
How much should I dose Tropica micro according using EI method?
I know about next parameters:
NO3 5-40ppm
PO4 0,4-5ppm
K 10-30ppm
Fe 0,2-1ppm
gH 3-5
CO2 15-30ppm
But what about micro nutrition?
If I will take Tropica therefore It has Fe+micro. If I want to reach target 0,5ppm Fe I need to take 60ml for a week per 80L of tank. But Tropica recommends 6ml per 50L for a week.
And If I will use micronutrient without Fe, how should I dose micro?

burr740

Micros Spiller
Feb 16, 2015
Thats because Tropicas recommended dose is about 10x lower than EI. Thats normal for most premixed brands and not many people can justify the cost

But you dont need .5 ppm Fe 3x per week anyway. The calculator at rotalabutterfly.com has EI at .2 3x (Tom was in on this change a few years ago)

Go by that especially if you're trying to get it from retail liquid$. That's plenty for most tanks, plenty.

Reactions: Greggz

googoos

Jun 28, 2022
Earth
Thats because Tropicas recommended dose is about 10x lower than EI. Thats normal for most premixed brands and not many people can justify the cost

But you dont need .5 ppm Fe 3x per week anyway. The calculator at rotalabutterfly.com has EI at .2 3x (Tom was in on this change a few years ago)

Go by that especially if you're trying to get it from retail liquid$. That's plenty for most tanks, plenty.
Thanks a lot!
But how much micro Tropica I should to use If I’d like to follow EI dosing method?
Regular 5ml per week for 50L or more? х1,х2,х3? Thanks!

burr740

Micros Spiller
Feb 16, 2015
Thanks a lot!
But how much micro Tropica I should to use If I’d like to follow EI dosing method?
Regular 5ml per week for 50L or more? х1,х2,х3? Thanks!
Use the calculculator at rotalabutterfly.com

Enter your tank values, more boxes will appear as you go

Select "premixed" , then find your Tropica product in the drop down menu

Down at the bottom where it says calculating for, that should already say EI by default. If not select it from the drop down

Then hit calculate