This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

MH Lights

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by robert1979b, Oct 19, 2006.

1. robert1979b

robert1979b Junior Poster

Hi All,

I have a bit of a question regarding Metal Halide lights. I hve noticed that some of hte pictures in the gallery section show that you folks use MH lighting to great effect. BUT how do you manage to place the light so close to the water surface with out causing the temperature to rise into the 30ºC range:eek: .

I have a pair of 75 gallon (UK) tank with 250 W MH over them and can't seam to get the temperature into an acceptable range. I have been reduced to having the light suspended nearly 2 foot over the top of the tank so that the temperature stays in an acceptable range. this obviously has the consiquence of reducing the light intensity (the whole reason for buying the MH in the first place).:mad:

Any advice that does not involve buying a chiller unit would be greatly appreciated.

rob

P.S. I like the new look of this site.

2. Sintei

Sintei Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

good ventilation can be achieved with a small fan and keeps temperature down.

3. shake

shake Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

I have 2 x 150w over my 3x2x2. by the end of the day the water temperature is around 28 C. Mine are suspend about 20cm above the water. Like Sintei suggested a fan can do wonders. My tank sits right under and outlet from the AC and the past couple of warm days has kept the tepm around 25 c