This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

MH fixture

Discussion in 'Talk to Tom Barr' started by Jeremy1, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Jeremy1

Jeremy1 Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    7:57 AM
    Looking to buy a metal halide fixture from fishneedit for a 29gal to replace my compact florsent. Should I go for the 150watt or 70watt. The plants in the tank need moderate to high lighting. I do EI dosing plus trace along ith iron. I use pressureized CO2. I can't seem to bring out the red colors in a few of the plants using my current lighting. I've heard the 150 is a decent fixture for the money but would it be overkill on a 29gal but I guess I could always raise the fixture higher if algae break out occurs. Any suggestions?

2. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    fishneedit has been getting mixed reviews; some lights work, others start to smoke or burn out. You may want to look into them a little. I corresponded with them through e-mail, and English was definitely not the first language of their customer service; they couldn't even understand me. If they weren't a US based company I wouldn't mention it, but they are.

Personally, I'd head for the 70w close to the water, or string the 150w up nice and high. Spotlighting the tank may look good.

-Philosophos

3. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi Jeremy,

Please do NOT get the 150 watt fixture. Get the 70.

I have a 3x150 MH with 6500k bulbs mounted 2 FEET above a 180 which is also 2 feet deep.

Plenty of light for anything.

I wish I had gotten the 3x75w........

4. Jeremy1

Jeremy1 Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    I actually went with the 150 due to some of my plants requirements for high lighting. I will see how works out. Thanks for the response.