This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Metracide 14

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by over_stocked, Mar 2, 2010.

1. over_stocked

over_stocked Junior Poster

Local Time:
    10:01 AM
    When using metracide 14 as an excel replacement you do NOT add the "activator" to the bottle do you? That is for sterilizing purposes only, correct? It says it would turn the chemical green, which I know excel is not...

2. Brian20

Brian20 Guest

Local Time:
    4:01 AM
    If you are talking about cidex, yu dont use the activator (someone tell me that, I still not use this products)

3. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    2.6% Glutaraldehyde

Hi,

Do not use the activator the activator is so the sterilent can be used for an extended period of time.

MetriCide is a 2.6% buffered glutaraldehyde solution.

Biollante

4. Brian20

Brian20 Guest

Local Time:
    what is better? Cidex or metricide 14?

5. Biollante

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Ripped Off Again

Hi,

I have never used MetriCide 14 and have only limited experience with Cidex Plus. :eek:

Both are buffered glutaraldehyde solutions, MetriCide 14 is a 2.6% solution and Cidex Plus is a 3.4% solution.

I mix my Cidex 1:1 with distilled water yielding a 1.7% glutaraldehyde solution. :rolleyes:

I suppose it comes down to a matter of price and availability, accounting for Cidex Plus having 23.5% more glutaraldehyde.

I paid $US 18.75 including shipping for a quart of Cidex Plus from http://www.allegromedical.com/swine-flu-c7240/cidex-plus-28-day-solution-1-quart-p189979.html, and I see I was ripped off. :eek:

Biollante

6. abcemorse

abcemorse Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    What kind of dosing do you use with that, in terms of ml/gal? I use some excel, not a whole bunch, but am interested in this, it seems substatially cheaper....

7. Biollante

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Excel Label Dosing!

Hi,

I use Excel label dosing, since I have rather high density plants, I dose to the heavy side.

From SeaChem http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/FlourishExcel.html
    On initial use or after a major (> 40%) water change, use 1 capful (5 mL) for every 40 L (10 gallons*). Thereafter use 1 capful for every 200 L (50 gallons*) daily or every other day. Dosing may be slowly increased in high-growth aquariums. For smaller dosing please note that each cap thread is approximately 1 mL.
    I have been using Excel and my Cidex solution side by side and while I know it is not definitive, I see no difference between the two. :cool:

Biollante

8. Brian20

Brian20 Guest

Local Time:
    excel lent!!

9. over_stocked

over_stocked Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I use metricide 14 at 100% strength. I bought it here, which seems to be the cheapest for 1 gallon shipped.

10. Biollante

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Wow!

Hi,

Wow, even accounting for Cidex Plus having 23.5% more glutaraldehyde, the Metricide 14 is far and away the better deal! :D

Thanks! :cool:

Biollante

11. barbarossa4122

barbarossa4122 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Hi,

Is this better or the same than Excel? Should I switch from Excell to Metracid 14? How do you dose it and how much? A gallon of Excel is $50.00 and I would like to swich to Metracid 14 if it does the same job as the Excel.

12. barbarossa4122

Local Time:
    I am getting my 1 gallon of Metricide 14 on Monday ($30.00 shipped, Excel $60.00 shipped). I am going to dilute it to 1.5 M : 1 W. I am using about 25ml/day of Excel right now and it starting to get too pricey. As you stated one another forum, "over_stocked", this will make me a 1.66 gallons of "excel" for only $30.00. I will follow the MSDS instruction when handling the Metricide.

13. Biollante

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

What are you using 25ml of Excel a day on?

Biollante

14. barbarossa4122

Local Time:
    Hello,

My 55g and 30g. I do not have co2 injection. Maybe in the future when I understand exactly what co2 system to get, I'll get it. It has to be something simple since my mechanical skills are limited, something that I just push a button or something and it does the job.

#14 barbarossa4122, Mar 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2010
  15. barbarossa4122

Local Time:
  16. Biollante

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    On Average...

Hi,

That is a lot of Excel going into less than 85-gallons of water, though on average... ;)

After a 50% + water change, you should be dosing 25-ml Excel in the 55-gallon tank and 15-ml in the 30-gallon tank. :)

On non-water-change days, 5-ml Excel in the 55-gallon tank and 3-ml in the 30-gallon tank. :cool:

Biollante

17. barbarossa4122

Local Time:
    OK, thanks. What kind of co2 system (easy to install and operate) would I need ?

18. shoggoth43

shoggoth43 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Easy to install and operate = pressurized CO2. The downside is the relatively high initial cost. You will also need to figure out how you want to deliver said CO2 into the tank which adds another dimension to this.

You should be able to get a decent regulator, solenoid and bottle in the 200-250$ range. More or less depending on your needs and your tolerance to Some Assembly Required. A simple lamp timer will suffice to control it and you can run the CO2 into any existing powerhead you may already have in the tank to distribute the CO2. From there you can make it easier or more complex depending on your needs.

-
    S

19. barbarossa4122

Local Time:
    I did not research this that much but, I'll look into it. Hopefully I'll have co2 by summer time.

20. csmith

csmith Guest

Local Time:
    Barbarossa,

PM me.