This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Methods for low plant mass, slow growing , carpeting variety?

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Fertilization' started by versa, Aug 14, 2014.

1. versa

versa New Member

Local Time:
    3:27 PM
  2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    We do not know what nutrients are in the tap water, we also have low biomass. If you add root tabes etc, and ADA AS, then you have leaching into the water column. Fissidens does well out side in my non CO2 tanks, I only feed the shrimp once a week.
    Other plants have roots etc.

You can well without dosing for some tanks, my 120 Gallon will do so so for awhile, but after a few weeks, not so well. The issue is that the tank will do BETTER with dosing. Not that sediments alone do not supply enough for some tanks. Open wide tanks, moss, some foreground plants etc.......these are not demanding conditions.
    Most iwagumi layouts are in this group. Adding ferts does not harm and makes them grow faster.

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    He also says as much: the soil leaches into the water, he does large water changes, he trims the mat to keep in under 1 inch thick etc.

Good care is the main issue for most, that.......and CO2..........good light etc.

4. versa

versa New Member

Local Time:
    Thanks Tom, so could I achieve a good balance with high light and co2 without adding ferts to the sediment and using leaner doses?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

5. versa

versa New Member

Local Time:
    Thanks Tom.

So is there little need for root tabs in this case? You say "leaching" into the water, but is this desirable or over kill?

If I dry start the HC, would a good plan after flooding be to crank the co2, watch for deficiency/slow growth and start with a lean EI regimen? Naturally, I want to avoid algae at all costs... But do does everyone I guess ha ha

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk