Metering and Needle Valves For Our Use

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
S&KGray;52194 said:
What are the model #'s of the valves you got?

The SS Ideal is a 54-2-11. I think that it may turn out to be something like the Swagelok "M" series where the first quarter of a turn will be useful and after that, the rest puts it in "plaid speed." Check out the bottom right graph: http://idealvalve.thomasnet.com/Asset/Flow-Calculation-for-Gases.pdf

The two Swagelok (Whitey) valves are B1VS4 (0.37 Cv) which are useless for us to use for CO2 control. I don't know what I'm going to do with these. I just wanted the Ideal to play with.

C

csmith

Left C;52196 said:
...where the first quarter of a turn will be useful and after that, the rest puts it in "plaid speed."

I laughed out loud on that. I was curious as to if it would catch on.

Oreo

Guru Class Expert
May 6, 2010
This pic is right out of the Swagelok catalog pdf. Using the Swagelok Cv calculator I plugged in a 15psig differential and 1 lpm of flow (which is about 10 times as much as I need for my ~80gal aquarium) and it gives a recommended Cv = .0022. That's smack dab in the middle of the "S" series graph which means we'll still be on the lower half of the range even for the "S" series valves but we'll have good adjustment sensitivity. Versus the "M" series where we're pegged at the very, very bottom of the adjustment range with terrible sensitivity. You have a link to it above but these graphs really tell the tale about our "medium" flow metering valves:

cv.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

oazanki

Junior Poster
Oct 14, 2010
I was doing some research on needle valves and came up with this website: http://andygags.tripod.com/valves.htm

The author suggests using an RC airplane needle valve made by OS Max (Manufacturer part number 21181902). These valves cost about $10 from various websites and the author claims that they can be used to control the flow easily to 1 bubble per second.

Does anyone have any experience with those valve and if they can truly be used for our applications?