Melting ludwigia

[email protected]

Prolific Poster
Apr 24, 2005
Vermont
Any suggestions on how to deal with my Ludwigia repens "melting". Plant is growing at healthy rate along with the other plants in tank but then it seems to get "infected" and leaves just turn brown and dissolve. It tends to work its way from bottom up. Tank is non CO2 with Excel and ferts per Tom's recommendations in "Non CO2 Methods".

Thanks, Bill

Detritus Mulm

Guru Class Expert
Jun 12, 2005
Re: Melting ludwigia

Could be lack of light?

I know mine tends to grow like a weed and the older (bottom) leaves are always the first to suffer. I suspect it's the top leaves shading the bottom leaves, but I'm not certain.

If I don't top (replant the tops) mine every week it takes over the tank. I recently missed a week and I had stems over 2 feet long. :)

[email protected]

Prolific Poster
Apr 24, 2005
Vermont

Symbiot said:
could it be that your water is too hard?
i had tonina melt because my water is too hard...

I'll do a test and see what it comes to. I did add a few slate type rocks in the fall - I wonder if they could be throwing things off? Still it's odd because ludwigia seems like such an easy plant.

Thanks, Bill

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

If you use excel, it's likely not enough nutrients.
Doa water change, add Excel back and add about 1/4 teaspoon per week per 80 liters of KNO3. Scale the other nutrients dosing to this rate.

Watch near the end of the week, see if you need more KNO3/PO4 etc, you may want to add some traces right about mid week.

This should clear the issue up.

Water hardness cannot be it, I've pulled this plant off limestone cracks in springs.

You can see the weed in the plast fest photo's in the limestone even.

Regards,
Tom Barr