Meds

ranchu dad

Junior Poster
May 28, 2008
I'm just wondering what types of medications you all have on hand for treating your fish if you have problems. I have a planted tank with RCS, Cardinal Tetras and some other small fish but the first two are the most delicate. I have had a problem with some ulcers and possible bloating. I want to find what is the best stuff to keep on hand. Your help with this is appreciated, Thanks

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

I have many cardinals and have good success with products from Mardel and API.

Could you give some details on your tank and # of critters?

There must be a reason for ulcers and bloating. Is the bloating dropsy? When you look at the fish from on top, do the scales point outward?

What kind of food do you use?

Hope this helps.

ranchu dad

Junior Poster
May 28, 2008
So the Mardel and API products will not hurt the shrimp or tetras. I just want to be sure of the safety, I have had goldfish for years and the meds are totally different, I can't even use salt which is the main goldfish helper. I have changed the food around to try to get them back to normal but I have lost a few, I'm feeding with TetraMin Pro and I also have live Daphnia that I have been breeding for years.. The Dropsy is not very common I think just two fish but I just really want to know what to stock for emergency's. Thanks

ranchu dad

Junior Poster
May 28, 2008
I'm having a problem with finding any med's that say they are safe to use with shrimp and I also have tetras. I'm having the usual problem with keeping Cardinals and I think that is just the poor shape they are in, but I would like to have a medican selection that I can use. Just some that are safe for use with the plants, tetras, and shrimp

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

I had issues getting cardinals in decent shape.

I recently had 2 orders delivered from Anubias Design.

I got 65 good ones a few weeks ago and just got 150 last week.

They are in good shape, look good, not sick at all.

I used to get them from other vendors and the LFS and most of the time they were dead within the week.

I like the products I gave, but again do not keep shrimp.

Can you put the fish in another tank for treatment w/o the shrimps?

ranchu dad

Junior Poster
May 28, 2008
I can try to move some but to catch them all is impossible with the planted tank. I try to catch them but I end up shredding the plants and is just a mess. I don't need to have them at home for the fact that they may expire in the date. I just want to know what the options are so I can have an idea when I need something and then not having to worry about the fish, plants and shrimp.